iCloud Drive & Photos upgrade

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by pk7, Sep 9, 2014.

1. pk7 macrumors 6502

Hello,

I haven't yet put the GM on my iPhone 5s and iPad 4. I know that when you first install iOS 8, it gives you the option to upgrade to iCloud Photos and iCloud Drive. I also have an Early 2011 15" MacBook Pro running Mavericks.

I have heard that the iCloud upgrade is not reversible and that you lose access to your iCloud Documents & Data until your Mac gets Yosemite installed onto it. Photos are not a big deal to me as I don't use photo stream, therefore I have already imported everything.

Is it safe for me to go to the GM on my iOS devices?

This is the only reason why I am even considering waiting for the public release. Which also seems fishy, because when it's released to the public next week, won't users lose access to their iCloud Documents & Data when they upgrade, until Yosemite comes out?

I plan on starting fresh on my iPhone with iOS 8, so I'm also wondering if skipping the iCloud upgrade and performing it at a later time is a hassle. If it is, then I'll wait until the public release to do a restore and upgrade my iCloud at that time.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

2. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

its fine to go on it now, i skipped icloud drive upgrade after first reboot from upgrading, few hours later i went to icloud in settings & went to that same screen about icloud drive, accepted it, waited 1 minute, thats it & it said "on"

3. titans1127 macrumors 6502a

I upgraded my 5S and Air (not a restore just did an option + click on check for update so no data was wiped) and was only asked about upgrading to iCloud Drive. I accepted and don't see any difference. I don't use photostream since I dump my photos + videos from the camera roll to my Mac regularly.

I also don't use documents though that will probably change when Yosemite comes out but we shall see.

Only thing I am waiting for is the new iCloud pricing. 5 gigs just ain't enough.

4. Razeus macrumors 603

iCloud pricing has already been announced pal.

5. titans1127 macrumors 6502a

Yeah everything changed to the new pricing options for me the day after I made my post.

6. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

5GB is still free / 20GB is .99 a month / 200GB is $3.99 month / 500GB is $9.99 / 1 TB is 19.99 a month

Accepted payment methods for iCloud storage upgrades include credit cards, debit cards, and iTunes Store credit. If you don't have enough iTunes store credit to complete your upgrade, you'll be charged the remaining amount. Apple Store gift cards aren't accepted as payment for upgrading iCloud storage.

Bold part is my doing and if you got enough cash in iTunes credit without CC or Debit on file for the monthly payments then it'll charge it .. And its safer too.. IMO..