iCloud Drive Question

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Phoneinfo, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Phoneinfo macrumors newbie

Do you use iCloud Drive? If so...can you tell me the best way to access your files on your iPhone and iPad? I loaded some files on my desktop. Went to my iPhone and had to search for them. I found them under Manage Storage and when I clicked on the files...they won't open.

Where do you go to find your files and how do you open them? Any info on how you use iCloud Drive would be greatly appreciated.

2. Trahearne, Feb 14, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2015

Trahearne macrumors 6502

If you need full text searching, you need apps like Documents 5, GoodReader or iFiles to provide you an accessible document hierarchy that uses iCloud Drive, and more importantly, you can do real searching. I use Documents 5 to store my reference docs, lecture notes, PDF/HTML web clips... whatever else that is PDF, and I access them on my Mac in the Documents 5 app folder. I also use Byword for my Markdown notes, so I got a Byword folder on my dock too.

iCloud Drive does not come with a Finder app that is similar to what Dropbox or OneDrive gives you. Every app is sandboxed in its own app library at the most of the time, but if necessary it can prompt the user the iOS DocPicker and be implicitly granted access to the files in other apps' iCloud Drive library. So if you don't use these document-management apps, the only way you can access the files is via apps that support iOS 8 Document Picker. Just access. You cannot manage it as in the capable apps or the Dropbox app, and you cannot search through your files in the DocPicker either.

It is sort of inflexible, but may be sufficient for the mainstream. The point is, you need an app to do the job for you, whereas iCloud Drive is just a syncing drive without a file manager.

3. Phoneinfo thread starter macrumors newbie

This is good information. Thanks for your help. I'll try these apps.

4. Trahearne macrumors 6502

Note that if you use Office for iOS, iCloud Drive is not an option so far - it supports only OneDrive and Dropbox. Moreover, there is no way to search through the entire iCloud Drive on iOS currently, but instead just apps like Documents 5 providing full text searches of the documents in its sandbox.

5. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

MS Office for iOS has just been updated and apparently now supports icloud. :)

6. daijholt, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2015

daijholt macrumors 6502a

daijholt

Transmit is a very good app for iCloud file management, but is probably the most expensive option. I have both that and Documents 5 in my iphone, still trying to figure out which is better.

Transmit seems to be more reliable, but both are at the mercy of the iCloud DocumentPicker, which is incredibly buggy. 80% of the time, opening up the file browser in one of those apps and scrolling through will cause the DocumentPicker to crash, taking you back to the app's main interface. There also doesnt appear to be a way for developers to indicate how a download/upload to/from icloud drive is progressing. You just have to hope the upload started and finished, then wait a few minutes for it to show up on iCloud.com or in the Finder on Mac.

7. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

The other issue with iCloud Drive for me is the space. I have gigs of space with services like OneDrive, Box, and Dropbox. I use my iCloud space for device backups and iCloud Photo. I could buy more but making the jump to the next tier (200 Gig) is a bigger jump than I need at the moment even if I put everything in one place. My basic use is covered at the moment even if I have to use a few different apps to get it done. If they made iCloud Drive as easy to use as the other providers I would consolidate to one provider and find a way to use the space. For example, opening Excel to see an Excel file makes sense but in the folder with it are other related files. I need another application to see the PDF in the same folder. The Documents 5 app covers that need but Apple should just build this in.