iCloud Drive Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thenumbersrbad, Jul 1, 2017.

1. thenumbersrbad macrumors 6502

thenumbersrbad

I've searched threads here and haven't seen anything really, and I've googled but I really only seem to get how to turn iCloud Drive on on a Mac and nothing really that seems to answer the benefits question.

So here is my question, what if any, is the benefit of turning Desktop and Documents on in iCloud Drive on a Mac? Is there a benefit to not turning it on?

Thanks in advance

2. 960design macrumors 68020

You would have to choose if it is beneficial or not. I can describe why and how I use it.

Desktop iCloud
    I have several Macs and iPads and can easily share documents between them all by dropping a copy on the desktop.

Documents Cloud
    I save my source code under Documents > Source > ect. This way my source code is always backed up to an offsite machine, just in case I lose a computer to a lightning strike or theft. I can quickly be up and running with a new Mac.

3. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

If you have, say, a 128GB MBA that's running out of space, the Optimize Mac Storage feature will automatically do some housecleaning (same setting is available for iCloud Photo Library).