iCloud Drive stop-gap

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by kronusdark, Oct 2, 2014.

1. kronusdark, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014

kronusdark macrumors member

kronusdark

I was quite annoyed that Apple seems to have forgotten the obvious with iCloud Drive. So I whipped up an app that will allow you to open files from iCloud.

You "Grab" a file from iCloud Drive (PDF, JPG, MOV... whatever) then "Use" it in another app (VLC, iBooks, Dropbox, etc...).

its $0.99 and I would love to get some feedback.

Hopefully some of you will find this useful while waiting for a "Real" solution from Apple.

http://alloc-init.com/cloudgrabapp

Please excuse the self-promotion

[​IMG]

App is pretty simple, it uses the default iCloud Drive picker and only allows you to open files from your iCloud Drive at the moment.

I will work on updates if there is more demand for it.

Feature Requests:

- Progress bar for large downloads (This is our first priority for 1.0.1)
    - Dedicated Cloud Grab folder for editing documents (We will have to explore how this will work with the flow)
    - Simple File Management (I don't want this to become too complicated, but I might look into creating folders, moving files and deleting items, there may be an API limitation to accessing files outside of the apps sandbox though)

Update:

I found a bug where sometimes it won't open a file, looks like it may be a bug with iCloud Drive, but I am going to see if I can get a workaround implemented.

2. Orlandoech, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014

Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I'd love to review it. Can you possibly provide some download codes? I also cannot find it from my iPhone at all when searching the app store.

3. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

same

4. kronusdark thread starter macrumors member

kronusdark

yea, I'm not sure how long it takes to propagate the AppStore search.

5. kronusdark thread starter macrumors member

kronusdark

I will be giving out codes via Twitter from @cloudgrabapp tomorrow.

6. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I don't have Twitter ##

7. kronusdark thread starter macrumors member

kronusdark

I will give them out randomly in tweets, you don't have to have an account, just watch the page.

8. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I guess I'll wait for users to review then decide if it's worth while. Thanks.

9. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

do the codes have app store region limitations or work in all countries' app store(canada)?

10. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Guys. It's .99 for crying out loud, don't be a bunch of cheapskates.
    Pay the man for his efforts.

11. bgro macrumors 6502a

Can you provide some screenshots? Didn't see any on the App Store and just curious what it looks like before I buy. Is this like a file manager type of app where I can see all my folders/files in icloud? Can I create new folders and move files etc etc? Not exactly sure what it does

12. kronusdark thread starter macrumors member

kronusdark

13. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

14. kronusdark thread starter macrumors member

kronusdark

Unfortunately the iCloud Drive API that I am using will only let you pick files to open.

I am looking to make management an option as soon as I can.

15. shotts56 macrumors 6502

Exactly. It's 69p and some people are still asking for codes to get it for free? Some people have no shame.

The concept sounds great, have just bought it to give it a try.

16. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

I have bought it, but find after clicking Grab and getting the app picker window, all the apps are greyed out. Do I need to do something else?

17. shotts56 macrumors 6502

I think the way icloud drive works is that if you create a folder yourself and put stuff in it (ie on your Mac), that is accessible from any app.

If however if it's a folder that's been created by another app, that folder is ring fenced / sandboxed and can only be opened by that app.

I think.

18. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

I am having the same issue.

19. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

Thanks that takes me a step further, but not sure I am using it right.

I created a folder called TEST in my iCloud Drive, on my mac, and put a Pages and a Numbers Document in it.

Opened Grab, got the picker screen, and the TEST and the files inside are not greyed out.

I click "use" and am offered apps to open the doc. I chose Numbers and it puts a copy in the Numbers folder on my iCloud Drive, where I can open and view it.

The means every time I decide to view this document another copy is created, there are now four of the same document in my Numbers folder.

Not sure this goes as far as Readdles Documents 5 or PDF Expert 5, which create their own dedicated folder on iCloud Drive, which can have different files types, and PDF Expert can open any of these, by converting them to PDFs.

Grab looks nice and simple so would like it work for me.

20. kronusdark thread starter macrumors member

kronusdark

I have considered creating a Cloud Grab folder, that would expose documents to iCloud Drive, I wasn't sure if this would be the use case.

Personally, I use it to open PDF's and ePUB's, and those don't really get edited.

in-short, I will explore what you are asking. :D

21. Mike Boreham, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014

Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

A better option than choosing Numbers is to chose PDF Expert. The document then opens and does not create a duplicate anywhere.

This means that my TEST folder can have multiple file types, which can be instantly viewed without creating duplicate files.

I can use Grab to access my TEST, but I could just as easily create TEST in the PDF Expert folder on my iCloud Drive, and do the same by launching PDF Expert, not using Grab at all. Accessing TEST is quicker if all done in PDF Expert.

EDIT. Of course what I describe above only allows for read only access to the files in TEST. To have read and write synchronised across all devices only seems possible by putting the documents in the folder associated with each app....and then all my documents on the same subject are scattered across different folders.

22. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

From what I can tell Panic's Transmit for iOS can do this. It's $9.99, but it's a rock solid app from a trusted company. Has lots of other features to connect to a variety of servers and services. I downloaded it last night but haven't yet used it with iCloud Drive because I haven't converted my account to iCloud Drive yet (still using Mavericks and don't want to mess it up).

23. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

Have you had a look at Readdles PDF Expert?

I think this is a fast moving scene as third party developers (such as you) try to force iCloud Drive to be what people really want....an equivalent of Dropbox!

Happy to try any developments you make to Grab....you are definitely better than Readdle on price!

24. kronusdark thread starter macrumors member

kronusdark

I love Panic, but it doesn't appear that Transmit supports iCloud Drive yet. It seems to only support FTP-like services.

Dropbox is being dumb and not letting me upload a screenshot :(

Here is Panic's list:

FTP
    FTP with TLS/SSL
    FTP with implicit TLS/SSL
    SFTP
    WebDAV
    WebDAV HTTPS
    Amazon S3
    DreamObjects

Please correct me if I am wrong though.

25. macduke macrumors 604