iCloud Drive - This is getting ridiculous

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by wolfpackfan, Nov 1, 2014.

1. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Spent the last couple of days uploading about 35,000 pictures to iCloud Drive from my Mac mini. I was going to give iCloud Drive one more chance before I dumped it completely. Looked out on iCloud.com and they are there fine. But went into iCloud Drive on my Mac this morning and the folder is there but no files at all on my Mac.

2. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

You are not alone. iCloud Drive is just not suited for cloud storage. As simple as that. It lacks the performance, reliability and features of DropBox.
    There is no selective sync, not sync status is being displayed..There is no way to start or stop a synchronisation, and you can't control it in any way.
    All these would be ok if it worked (well most of the features missing would be ok). Unfortunately it doesn't.
    What makes it even worse is that there is no way on iOS to access your iCloud Drive. Only if Apps offer this feature. There should be a Finder for iOS...
    Just forget it and move on. Apple still hasn't learned how to do cloud storage.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple seems to have a long and illustrious history of poor network drive support, the old iDrive is prime example of them falling in that arena.

I think other products may be better suited.

4. Brian Y macrumors 68040

I gave iCloud drive a try - copied in ~4GB of files, and after 12 ours only 20mb had been uploaded.

Dropbox is the only viable solution IMO. OneCloud is a little unreliable, and still has a ridiculous file limit (20,000 I think). I did give own cloud a try, but that was ridiculously slow too.

5. autumnpatchouli macrumors member

autumnpatchouli

confused and confounded

I've been obsessing over iCloud Drive, iPhoto, and cloud photo storage in general. I'm not a professional photographer, I'm just wanting to store old family photos and any pics I happen to take throughout the year. Frankly, isn't that half the reason most people buy iPhones, for the camera?

The old way, when I took a pic, it was stored on my iPhone, and pushed to iPhotos on my Mac. It worked well. The question is will that continue after they have the new photo app for Mac down the road?

When I heard Apple was integrating iCloud and photos, I thought "great, now I can safely store my photos, and free up space on my phone, plus have access to them on iPhone, Mac, and iPad. However, I've since learned that if I delete the picture off my iPhone, it is also deleted from the iCloud. So iCloud is more a temporary storage facility?

So now I've enlisted the services of Flickr and Google+ to also store my photos in the cloud. That way, if I somehow delete the images from any Apple hardware, I know that they are still somewhere in a cloud to access. To me, that seems to be the purpose of cloud storage. When I bought my iPhone 6, I thought I could do all of this in the Apple ecosystem. Instead, I'm relying on Yahoo and Google.

It makes me wonder sometimes why I'm paying a premium for Apple products when I'm relying on freaking Google..

I love Apple products, but this is a head scratcher, as least for me.

6. Brian Y macrumors 68040

I'm hoping that will continue to work. I'm content with how iCloud photos works right now. I have my aperture library stored on my network, and whenever I open Aperture it downloads my photos from my iPhone into monthly photo stream folders.

Maybe when we finally get Photos for Mac it will be different. I just don't like this "half released" product.

7. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

iCloud Photos and photostream work pretty well. The problem is with the iCloud Drive. I use iCloud Photos and the iCloud photostream and don't have any issues with it. It is reliable and logically fast.

8. autumnpatchouli macrumors member

autumnpatchouli

Perhaps the "half released" aspect is the most maddening. When you watch Apple's launch of these products and hardware, they make it so appealing and then hit you with "it just works." However, when there are lots of questions, such as with all this photo business, Apple is nowhere to be seen or heard.

9. Brian Y macrumors 68040

That's why I don't understand why iCloud drive is so slow. Photos upload instantly.

10. bgro macrumors 6502a

This is only my opinion of course but icloud Drive is terrible and I really don't understand why anyone would use it given the slew of better options out there. I wish it was good as I would love to use a first party option but the fact is that the service is unreliable and competing services are so much more feature packed that there is literally no reason to use it at this point.

I am curious why most people use Dropbox opposed to Google Drive. Why is dropbox better? I personally use Google Drive and love it..

11. cheezeit macrumors 6502

Something I wonder as well. I wanted to use iCloud Drive but not having an app to browse files kills it for me. I'm trying to branch away from Google but it seems most of their cloud services do a better job. Plus the option of using their "office suite" makes it more convenient as well.

12. kirstielawrence macrumors newbie

How does it work on iPad/iPhone?

I get that we can only use it on certain apps but how do I pull up documents stored on the drive on my Mac to my iPad to read or print? There's no where to access icloud?

13. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Exactly. iCloud Drive is half baked and cannot be taken seriously. It's sad but only Apple can change that..

14. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I'm also disappointed. If you sync to iCloud drive, it removes all the photos you sync'd from your Mac. Ok...but I should be able to drag/drop all those folders/files into iCloud drive so that they will still show up in my Photos.

<sigh>

15. wolfpackfan, Nov 1, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2014

wolfpackfan thread starter macrumors 68000

iCloud Drive seems to work okay if you stay within the app containers (Pages, Numbers, etc.). It is when you start creating folders outside of them, that I have run into problems. Unfortunately this is where the greatest benefit of iCloud Drive comes from. I had great hopes when this was first announced, but it just doesn't seem to be ready for prime time. This last problem was just bizarre. I created a folder called "Pictures". I then moved all my pictures for the last 14 years to it. I looked on icloud.com and all the pictures were there. I looked at the space being taken up and that was about what I would expect. But when I went to iCloud Drive in Finder, the "Pictures" folder was faded out and it wouldn't let me go into the folder. I went to icloud.com and the pictures were still there. It did let me delete the faded out folder though and I recovered all my disk space. It is little things like this that are just so maddening. I plan on continuing to use iCloud Drive but just for Pages and Numbers and just within the app containers. I am using DropBox for everything else.

16. RTF macrumors newbie

RTF

Well iCloud Photos is not always that fast. Photos on my iPhone 6 for now allways upload quickly. But the iPhone 5S from my girlfiend (same Apple ID) allways hangs during uploads. With hangs, I mesn that it could keeps saying for days that x photos are being uploaded and that number doesn't change.

Also..we have 4 iDevices and there are 3 nr's of total photos... Say i.e.: iPad's 1900 Photos, 5S 1800 Photos, 6 2000 photos.

17. iPH0NE 3GS macrumors newbie

18. Tourgott macrumors member

I don't get all these problems. iCloud Drive works perfectly for me even with own folders. I love how you just have to put a new file in and it's there. You can edit it and it's changed.

It's absolutely exactly what I was waiting for.

19. jadot macrumors 6502

jadot

I think you're the only one then!

I've lost Important Numbers Docs, Pages Docs, Documents that won't open even though they're up to date, No preview or app to search iCloud drive on iOS, It's made a mess of my accounting archive, re-named some files, and getting photos to sync in a way that just works is b********.

Yosemite is awesome and iOS 8 is pretty good too, but iCloud Drive shouldn't be allowed to live!
    And considering something like dropbox offers a much better user experience for far less cost, I'd say Apple need to check themselves on this.

Bad form.