iCloud Drive - Upgrading Question

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by MacKey76, Oct 21, 2014.

1. MacKey76 macrumors newbie

Hi

I have a question that I hope someone can help with.

For Mac, I'm currently running a MacBook Pro (2011 with Mavericks), a MacBook Air (2013 with Mavericks), a Mac Mini (2012 with Mavericks).

For mobile devices, I'm running an iPad 2 (with IOS 7.1.1), iPad Mini Retina (with IOS 7.1.1), and an iPhone 5S (with IOS 7.1.1).

I'm fairly new to Mac but have really bought into the ecosystem as you can see. I spent a lot of time running Windows on them primarily but have switched fully over to Mac OSX now (though still run a Windows VM in Fusion for legacy stuff).

So, back to my original question.

I want to upgrade all my IOS devices to IOS 8.1, and all my Macs to Yosemite.

My worry though, is what order to do them in so I don't mess up the iCloud Drive stuff. I have heard a couple of horror stories (one from a colleague) of people who upgraded one devices and then lost all access to iCloud data on the other devices.

With the kit above, what order would you upgrade in? There is a very good chance I wouldn't do them all on the same day but I will need access to iCloud data in-between if that is at all possible.

The devices I use the most are my MBP, iPhone and iPad Mini.

2. impaler macrumors 6502

Hmmm...I don't think the order matters, really. I'd probably focus on the Mac first - and make sure I had a full backup of the current build with all files, on Mavericks - say, a backup to Time Machine. That way, if stuff gets hosed up you'll have a restore point. Then do iOS devices. Again, at the end of the day, doubt it matters.