Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrEsTo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2006
Australia
I moved a number of files from my hard drive to iCloud Drive, the files disappeared from my hard drive immediately and they started populating in iCloud as expected.

However since then, my free local storage went from 40GB to 1.5GB and getting worse every few mins. The only solution I've found is to restart the computer which releases a few GB but not long after that it goes down to 1.5-2GB free.

Never seen anything like this before, but my gut feeling is that Yosemite is keeping a copies of the 40GB somewhere hidden in the local system for quick access.

Any clues on how to fix it? I've run CleanMyMac a few times but I only manage to delete a few MBs.

Last edited:

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Files are still stored on your HD. They are just hidden in the Library/Mobile Documents folder.

CrEsTo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2006
Australia
Files are still stored on your HD. They are just hidden in the Library/Mobile Documents folder.

Thanks for this Julien.

Is this how iCloud is meant to work? A bit useless if you want to save local disk by storing in the cloud.

I hope this changes once Yosemite goes out of Beta.

Planey28

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Birmingham, UK
Thanks for this Julien.

Is this how iCloud is meant to work? A bit useless if you want to save local disk by storing in the cloud.

I hope this changes once Yosemite goes out of Beta.

Yes this is how it is meant to work, other cloud storage services like Dropbox or OneDrive work in the same way. Its not for freeing up local disk space, it's to have files synced across multiple devices and access them anywhere

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
2 Things (at least):

1) You may need access to you data when the internet is down or unavailable (local copy).

2) To put it simply it would be foolish to 100% trust your data in someones else possession.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
Where are you getting your remaining space value from, the Finder or About This Mac? Have you actually run into any low disk space warnings or failed copies etc.?

I dunno exactly how iCloud's storage is working, but it might relinquish some space if you need it?

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
I, and others had storage issues with PB1, and 2, but now with PB3, my storage in "About This Mac" is normal even after a new reinstall of Yosemite PB3

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.