iCloud Drive vs internal storage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by smagdy, Sep 16, 2014.

1. smagdy macrumors regular

Hello,

I have 40GB (and growing) of photos/videos of my kids that are saved on PC, and naturally i always want to buy big capacity iPhones to fit them, but now i am wondering if i can just buy the least size (16GB) and always dump all new photos/videos to the cloud drive (purchased 200GB)?
    Already pre-ordered i6+ 16GB

Also will i be able to access these photos from "iCloud drive" App just like Photos App with difference that i need internet to access them from the drive.

Any thoughts are appreciated...

2. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

Automatic upload to a cloud drive of some flavor or another is pretty standard stuff. However, accessing those photos might require you to go through a web browser. They will NOT be available through the regular Photos App.

3. smagdy thread starter macrumors regular

I dont mean to access them through Photos App, but there should be other app that is connected to the iCloud Drive, something like Google Drive App.

Maybe Apple didnt make that part clear yet!

4. appleii.c, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2014

appleii.c macrumors 6502

appleii.c

You might be able to access them using the iCloud Drive app with iOS 8. It should become available tomorrow.

EDIT: They may enable an iCloud option in the iPhotos app to store/view your photos in the cloud.

5. Fant macrumors regular

You should also note that everytime you access your photos from the cloud they will be going over the network and depending on how fast your network is could seem significantly slower than local photos. Depends on how well Apple makes the cloud photos app. Oh and you still need local space for your camera roll no or do pictures automatically move off your camera roll once synced with icloud?

6. smagdy thread starter macrumors regular

Well, it seems that all depends on how apple is implementing it.

I used google drive & google plus for a while and it had option to automatically upload any new camera roll pics/videos and it worked great but i wasnt comfortable with the interface to browse the images.. So will see in few hours with iOS 8.

7. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

I always get the 16 gb model. The cloud is only going to get more and more involved in our lives.

Save your money for more data. Not local storage.

8. smagdy thread starter macrumors regular

Thats how i think, but i am worried about 2 things!

1. When i have 16GB of course it will be like only have free (assuming all media in cloud) so am afraid shooting HD videos will fill the free space very fast that i need to transfer to cloud to be able to shoot more or something.

2. Apple isnt stupid to make 128GB and maybe higher in the future where users will be smart and use 16 + drive :)

9. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

Apple now gives people what they want instead of Steve's vision which is what they don't know they want. I still believe if Steve was around he would be hyping a small storage phone and icloud drive.

I have an iPad and an iMac not to mention a work laptop. I offload videos when I run out of space. I regularly go on week long vacations and get plenty of kid videos which I then edit on the iPad. It's not a big deal to me. Frankly I don't want every video on my phone.