iCloud drive, where is it?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Fietsbel, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Fietsbel macrumors member

On Yosemite i have access to the icloud drive, but i dont see an app on IOS8 to get to these items as well. Did i miss it, or maybe it will come when Yosemite is launched?

2. KrisLord macrumors 65816

I wouldn't expect an app. The screenshots we've seen previously are the standard file opening dialog from within apps that support iCloud Drive.

3. madsci954 macrumors 68030

There is no app. The iCloud Drive window is accessed via an app's share sheet. You'll have to wait until devs update their apps to support it.

4. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68020

But i want to use it on my windows computer like dropbox. I thought it was supposed to be like dropbox where i drop all my files into the dropbox folder, and simply open the app on my phone to access those apps on my phone?

5. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

It is not Dropbox.

6. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68020

"Now you have the freedom to work with the document of your choice on the device of your choice. Because with iCloud Drive, you can safely store all your presentations, spreadsheets, PDFs, images, and any other kind of document in iCloud and access them from your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, or PC."

This is on apple's icloud drive website. Seems like it describes icloud drive to be similar to Dropbox. I saw that i could go to my icloud beta account on the web and create a folder and drop pdf files in the folder. But i look on my phone and do not know where to access those files from on my phone?

7. madsci954 macrumors 68030

You'll have Dropbox like access from Mac or PC, but on iOS, you use the app you want and open the file from within the app. That's Apples view of it.

8. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

That only really describes any cloud service, nothing in particular that makes it more Dropboxey.

9. Wbutchart macrumors regular

Ios 8 is shaping up well. I icloud drive - non existent on an IOS device! yet its an ios feature - makes sense (not!).

Icloud photo library, seems to be disappearing as we speak, some have it some don't. All in all, this is the worst release they have managed, the major features either require a developer to get it going or have been removed from the website and its unknown if we will even get them.

Have used ios since version 3 but not impressed with this.

10. eddiec312 macrumors 6502

eddiec312

So...basically icloud drive is NOT going to be anything like google drive in which I can upload a file/video and share it with anyone or email it to them so they can download it?

If not that's a big disappointment.

11. snydering macrumors newbie

snydering

big disappointment indeed... :confused: