Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Any major changes here?

Can it be used more like a proper file system? EG save a file from app A into the drive and open it with another?

Can photos be saved to the drive?

Can Safari save files to it?

insomniac86

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2015
Perth, Western Australia
We all really need to start complaining to Apple Feedback regarding iCloud drives ****** state of existence.
I can't believe that Dropbox has better integration in iOS than Apples very own!

What i can do with Dropbox ( & can't do with iCloud Drive):
-Save/Export a photo from the Photos app to it.
-Airdrop a file and save it to Dropbox
-Save from pretty much any app that supports Share Sheets

What iCloud needs:
-Save a download from Safari
-Be accessible as a share sheet (Export from Photos app etc)
-Be a target for Airdrop files. In other words, if you airdrop me a file, i want to be able to save it straight to iCloud Drive. (Can be done via Dropbox)
-Selective Sync for Offline Files
-Delta uploads

I want to get rid of Dropbox purely because i want native support. But at this point iCloud drive is still a joke.

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
Can it be used more like a proper file system? EG save a file from app A into the drive and open it with another?

I know it's a bit of an hack and off topic in the context of this topic (forgive me for that, I just want to help you to get work done) but you can do all the stuff you mentioned in iOS9, using the Workflow app.

Hopefully one day these features will be native, after Apple stops focusing on iMessage stickers and emoji, redesigning apps after one year and making control center worse

Reactions: insomniac86

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Any major changes here?

You can do this already. It's not really well 'integrated', but I do save photos in iCloud Drive sometimes. Don't know why to be honest, but I can. xD

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
Share it when you find out how. Are you sure you didn't put them there via a Mac?
Download Workflow and use this workflow. It's very easy and fast:

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    75.9 KB · Views: 169

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
iCloud Drive is a 1st party app, there is too much overlap/redundancy for it to ever have every single feature a 3rd party app such as Dropbox has.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.