iCloud/Dropbox iWork Workflow

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by blythy, Jan 2, 2014.

1. blythy macrumors member

Hi everyone, I'm hoping somebody can help me solve an issue; I'm a long-term Mac user and until recently had one of the original iPads. This Christmas I received an up to date and much faster iPad and I'm ready to embrace it as a platform for working as well as entertainment!

I currently store all my documents on Dropbox and 90% of these have been created with Numbers and Pages. I'm trying to figure out a logical, simple workflow for Editing documents on my iPad and saving them back to Dropbox.

I guess the only reason holding me back from solely using iCloud is that it doesn't function in the same way as a Dropbox, i.e. a folder I can just store everything in (including the other 10% non iWork documents) and access from my devices.

[I really don't want to install a third-party app and add to the workflow. if this is the only solution currently, then I would rather just store all my documents in iCloud. I use iCloud to sync everything else (photos, calendar, contacts etc.) ]

Any advice or stories of how people overcome this would be much appreciated.

2. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

iCloud is very restricted. What I currently do is create/edit documents on iOS and save them to iCloud. I then send a copy to a folder in Dropbox for iWork backups. If I need to edit an iCloud document and I want to keep it in iCloud I will temperately enable "documents in the cloud" on Mac or access via browser.

If I'm done with the document then I just take it out of the dropbox folder. One issue that is very limiting now is that the iOS iWork apps export as zip files instead of .pages .keynote or .numbers.

3. phr0ze macrumors 6502a

I email myself copies from iOS iwork and they come across as .numbers not .zip.

4. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Are you using the new iWork on iOS 7?

5. phr0ze macrumors 6502a

Yes

6. Bear macrumors G3

My suggestion is to use iCloud for the iCloud enabled applications and use dropbox for everything else.