iCloud Email Address

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by harry20larry, Jun 7, 2011.

1. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

I have an apple account ID and mobileme, both different email addresses. When launching iOS 5, it asks me to put in my apple id. However, now i want to sync my mobileme email via iCloud I only get the option to create a new @me.com address.
    I hope apple fixes this problem where you can transfer your mobileme email address to your new iCloud account even though apple id email address is mismatched

2. chr macrumors regular

I'm sure your extremely common problem will be addressed sometime between now and this fall, 3 or 4 months away. I'm also sure people like you are why Apple doesn't like people who aren't actual developers having access to their betas.

3. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

I'm confused. I still can't tell exactly what the problem is here. I haven't installed iOS5 yet but I don't know if I want to. Depends on this iCloud email problem that's being talked about. I haven't heard anyone put it into clear words, I can't tell what's happening?

4. harry20larry thread starter macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

Basically my Apple ID and MobileMe accounts are separate. You use your Apple ID to set up iCloud. In iCloud settings it gives you an option to create an @me.com email address to be synced between devices. I want to use my existing MobileMe email address but it doesn't let me.

PS, devs can ask questions on these forums as well

5. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Ah, thank you very much for explaining that to me! I get it now. Man, that is a serious issue :/

6. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

If you're a dev you should know that this is explained in the dev portal.

7. harry20larry thread starter macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

Thanks buddy:
    I hope this means they are building some form of planing of transferring an email address since they are trying to flesh out the services early on.
    I don't understand why they don't do a 'switch' like process like we had from .mac to MM, this seems quite laborious

8. onthecoast macrumors member

This is beyond annoying. My MobileMe and my apple ID are the same.. meaning that I can't actually use the cloud stuff on iOS 5 if I don't get a new apple id... how ridiculous

9. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Does this also mean that the ID you use for iCloud can be different than the ID you use to download apps?

10. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

i wonder if apple will allow you to merge your existing id with a new mobileme address if say i create one with the new icloud features this fall as i would like a mobileme address but want it to be connected to my apple id as in having one unified id.

11. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

I'm not smart on this issue, but I'm starting to suspect this is exactly the case. Under Settings > Store only Music, Apps & Books are listed. Directly below that is the Apple ID used to purchase content. This makes sense, because family members don't want to purchase media content separately. This is sorta like Home Sharing. Since their are 9 iCould apps, this leads me to believe the @me.com address will be used to distinguish between individual family member's other 6 iCloud apps.

During the keynote, Jobs mentioned everyone would have to register for an @me.com address to enable iCloud.

The confusion comes from the keynote when every iCloud app was centered on the "Apple ID"

I can't imagine any other scenario than this. It would make no sense for my iPhone's settings, data, etc., to be "backed up" in the Cloud, then my wife's iPhone backs itself up using my stuff.

12. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

I'm a bit confused. My apple id is my normal email address, When I go to me.com I sign in with my normal email address and not a @me.com account. So do I need to make an @me.com account to have all the new features or will I be ok with my normal email address which is my apple id account?

13. apfelfreak32 macrumors member

apfelfreak32

I'm confused too. I hope one day the @me E-Mail address will replace my Apple ID to stop the confusion :)

I have one question. How to setup Gmail to pickup my iCloud mails? What user name should I provide? The Apple ID :apple::confused::confused: C O N F U S I O N :apple::confused:

14. G0lfYankee macrumors newbie

@me vs Apple ID

My experience is that, despite being prompted to create a brand new @me.com email address by the iOS5 beta, it has been linked to my Apple ID.

When logging in to the App store, for example, I can log in with my newly created @me.com email address, and it will log me in to my original Apple ID account. However, the opposite is not true. I can't log in to the iCloud "mail" section on iOS5 with my Apple ID credentials an recieve emails sent to my @me.com email account, despite it being linked with my Apple ID. Nor can I change the login information, once entered, without wiping my iPad.

I would guess that you will be able to associate (link) @me.com email accounts with an Apple ID and it is the @me.com emails that sync with the iCloud, not the Apple ID. It's even plausible that you can associate multiple @me.com emails with a single Apple ID. That would enable you to use your apps across multiple devices (tied to your Apple ID) and sync different combinations of devices to the iCloud that have different @me.com logins but the same Apple ID for sharing apps.

Apple has stopped accepting new @me.com email accounts (except it would seem via iOS5 betas). I would guess they will open the doors to new (free) @me.com email accounts with the official release of iOS5, and these credentials will be used to sync data to iCloud, keeping App Store purchases seperate by having them associated to your Apple ID.

@me.com = iCloud data sync credentials
    Apple ID = App Store purchases

At least that's how I understand it.

15. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Here's a question.... do you think when iCloud is officially released for iOS5 those who have created @me iCloud email accounts under the beta will transfer over?

16. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

i hope so!

17. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I'm not sure what you based that on but it appears to be false. Maybe turn the bile down a bit?

18. shandyman Suspended

you cannot merge a seperate apple ID and mobileme account, the transition document has said this is the case. which sucks as i had a mobileme account in 2009 and i can resurrect it, but not merge it with my existing apple ID.

your iCloud account can be different from the Apple ID you bought apps on, the iCloud section in settings only has options for mail, contacts, calenders, reminders, bookmarks, notes, photostream and find my iPhone. it's not linked automatically to the store section. Hope that makes sense.

19. G0lfYankee macrumors newbie

And yet, it is linked to your Apple ID. I can sign into the store using my iCloud account (it redirects me to my Apple ID) and sign into iCloud using my Apple ID (it automatically signs me in using the linked @me.com credentials).

So they're different, but irreversibly associated with one another once created.

20. shandyman Suspended

Yes it is linked if you create it thru your existing apple ID but you can make one that is seperate that's the point I'm trying to make. Once officially launched you can make one that's not the same as your apple ID.

21. tjaudio, Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011

tjaudio macrumors newbie

Figured it out

I modified my email address here. Go to https://appleid.apple.com and edit your account there. Unfortunately, it did not change on my account settings on my iphone even after I deleted my iCloud account and logged back in. I still have a typo in the address under advanced settings.