Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

McWTR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2011
I keep an iCloud email tab open all day on my MacBook - it's my primary email. Sometimes it doesn't auto-update, sometimes it does. I usually only know I have a new email if my iPhone buzzes me. Then I go to my tab, refresh, re-open email and then check. Waste of time. Any ideas on how to set up a way to get it to give me a new email alert in real time? Thanks!

JRCSaunders

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2014
Thank you for posting this McWTR, I am encountering the same issue.

I searched Google for a possible solution and found this thread. I have been unsuccessful finding a satisfactory answer to this query so far.

I just registered to this forum in order to add to this thread and bump it up.

So, again, does anyone know how to get browser-based iCloud Mail to automatically update and show that you have a new mail message when new mail arrives? I have to manually refresh the tab/page in order to see new mail (and depend on my iPhone to inform me when new mail arrives) - I'd obviously prefer that the browser Mail updates/refreshes on it's own when new mail arrives, like pretty much ALL other basic web-based freemail services do...

Last edited:

impaler

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
USA
does anyone know how to get browser-based iCloud Mail to automatically update and show that you have a new mail message when new mail arrives?

OP never answered my question from nearly two months ago, which is why not use Mail on OS X, vice a browser window? Having said that, when at work, my company uses Windows, so I must use a browser to check email on a computer. I leave Mail on iCloud.com up all day, and messages usually pop in right away, pushed to my interface, as soon as they ding on my iOS device(s). I've never had an issue, on IE or Chrome on Windows.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
OP never answered my question from nearly two months ago, which is why not use Mail on OS X, vice a browser window? Having said that, when at work, my company uses Windows, so I must use a browser to check email on a computer. I leave Mail on iCloud.com up all day, and messages usually pop in right away, pushed to my interface, as soon as they ding on my iOS device(s). I've never had an issue, on IE or Chrome on Windows.

Why does it matter? Lol

I don't like the mail program and use iCloud.com on the laptop. It auto updates most of the time.

Maybe op doesn't like it either..?

impaler

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
USA
Why does it matter? Lol

I don't like the mail program and use iCloud.com on the laptop. It auto updates most of the time.

Maybe op doesn't like it either..?

Just because it doesnt matter to you, doesn't mean others may not want to know. It matters because perhaps the OP didn't know about it or as you guess, doesn't like it. I wanted to know. The bottom line is the web version is supposed to update automatically. In real world, sometimes it needs a push...but generally it's "designed" to auto update.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Just because it doesnt matter to you, doesn't mean others may not want to know. It matters because perhaps the OP didn't know about it or as you guess, doesn't like it. I wanted to know. The bottom line is the web version is supposed to update automatically. In real world, sometimes it needs a push...but generally it's "designed" to auto update.

Bc if something doesn't work on here people always ask why they are doing it this way vs that way lol. Point is...it doesn't matter that he's using mail program or not....that wasn't his question. Probably why he ignored you for 2 months...just a thought #

impaler

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
USA
Bc if something doesn't work on here people always ask why they are doing it this way vs that way lol. Point is...it doesn't matter that he's using mail program or not....that wasn't his question. Probably why he ignored you for 2 months...just a thought #

Maybe. Still a natural question. Might have also been a reasonable question, which is why until today, nobody else chimed in.

JRCSaunders

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2014

Hmmm, well I don't know about the OP, but I'm experiencing this problem using the Safari browser on a Macbook. It simply doesn't automatically update my inbox to show that I've received a new e-mail, unless I manually refresh the page or click the 'get mail' button on the interface...

Last edited:

impaler

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
USA
Hmmm, well I don't know about the OP, but I'm experiencing this problem using the Safari browser on a Macbook. It simply doesn't automatically update my inbox to show that I've received a new e-mail, unless I manually refresh the page or click the 'get mail' button on the interface...

Works okay for me. It's clear that it's inconsistent and works sometimes, and other times needs a nudge to work.

JRCSaunders

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2014
Again, the point is it is inconsistent. Works under certain conditions, not under others.

It consistently never works under the conditions I require, which is why I'm hoping to get some useful insight as to how to fix this issue or what might explain it.

impaler

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
USA
It consistently never works under the conditions I require, which is why I'm hoping to get some useful insight as to how to fix this issue or what might explain it.

And for others, it consistently does work. Therefore, it's an inconsistently-working service.

impaler

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
USA
Hmm, I wonder why it works for you but never does for me...

There must be some kind of solution. If anyone can provide a possible fix for this problem it would be greatly appreciated.

Don't know, I'm not an Apple engineer. That's why it's an inconsistent service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.