Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
So I have an apple ID that I use with an old iPhone I had.
I have never used the cloud and frankly don't want too but I wouldn't mind having an iCloud email address.

1) Can I have an iCloud email w/o actually backing up to The cloud?

2) If I do make an iCloud email address/account am I able to get rid of my old apple ID and use the iCloud email address and if so how do I do that?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
1. Sure you can use iCloud and turn off iCloud backup is you want.

2. Maybe... have you purchased app with that old AppleID that you would want to keep using?

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
1. Sure you can use iCloud and turn off iCloud backup is you want.

2. Maybe... have you purchased app with that old AppleID that you would want to keep using?

Yes I have...?
Will that pose an issue?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Yes I have...?
Will that pose an issue?
Yes... if you use the newer iCloud account as your App Sore login, you will not have access to any of those apps you purchased under the old AppleID.

There is a workaround where you can use family sharing to share content/apps from the old account to the new. But I spent two days messing around with that recently and never could get it to work properly, so be warned.

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
Yes... if you use the newer iCloud account as your App Sore login, you will not have access to any of those apps you purchased under the old AppleID.

There is a workaround where you can use family sharing to share content/apps from the old account to the new. But I spent two days messing around with that recently and never could get it to work properly, so be warned.

Let me just ask you this. Can I set up only icloud as an email address?
I can surely change my apple store email address/login correct?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Let me just ask you this. Can I set up only icloud as an email address?
I can surely change my apple store email address/login correct?
Yes... that is what I do. I have an iCloud account turned on all my devices I use for email and sync etc (you can just enable what you want). Then I have an old AppleID I use for iTunes/App Store login that has all my old purchases attached to it just like you have.

A few years back Apple said they were looking at giving us a way to merge accounts in cases like this, but I never heard any more about it.

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
Yes... that is what I do. I have an iCloud account turned on all my devices I use for email and sync etc (you can just enable what you want). Then I have an old AppleID I use for iTunes/App Store login that has all my old purchases attached to it just like you have.

A few years back Apple said they were looking at giving us a way to merge accounts in cases like this, but I never heard any more about it.

Yeah but if my email changes shouldn't I just be able to "update my email" ?

Like if it BillyBob@yahoo.com but my email address gets changed to Billyjoe@hotmail.com should I be able to let keep the same apple ID but just update my email address?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.