Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chenks

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
UK
need to set up my icloud email on android device (nexus 4).
i've googled a few places that give instructions but none seem so to work.

configuring it as IMAP, but does anyone have a known working set of instructions?

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
Ah - Nexus devices always have problems with automatic email setup - on my Samsung Note 2 - I just had to enter my iCloud email and password - it figured out the rest! Anyway here are the settings -

Username - you@me.com
IMAP Server (Incoming) : mail.me.com
Security Type : SSL
Port : 993

Outgoing
SMTP Server : smtp.me.com
Security Type: TLS
Port : 587
If these settings don't work for you - Google messed up, open a bug report and watch them do nothing. (Google stock mail really sucks for third party stuff.)

chenks

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Ah - Nexus devices always have problems with automatic email setup - on my Samsung Note 2 - I just had to enter my iCloud email and password - it figured out the rest! Anyway here are the settings -

If these settings don't work for you - Google messed up, open a bug report and watch them do nothing. (Google stock mail really sucks for third party stuff.)

Can't safely connect to server.
(Certificate hostname not useable for server : mail.me.com)

my desktop client (mail.app) uses "p04-imap.mail.me.com" as the incoming mail server.

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
Can't safely connect to server.
(Certificate hostname not useable for server : mail.me.com)

You might need to accept all certificates unfortunately - I hate to do it as it is a security risk but like I said - mail setup sucks on stock.

chenks

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
UK
You might need to accept all certificates unfortunately - I hate to do it as it is a security risk but like I said - mail setup sucks on stock.

it didn't ask me to accept any, that's the error i got when i clicked next after entering the incoming settings.

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
it didn't ask me to accept any, that's the error i got when i clicked next after entering the incoming settings.

I don't have a stock Nexus device to confirm but if I remember correctly - it is a checkbox that you have to check after going to manual setup.

Edit : Like this
settings.jpg

chenks

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
UK
this is the error i get when trying to confirm the outgoing SMTP settings (incoming settings are accepted)

Screenshot_2013-05-28-10-00-12.png

chenks

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
UK
yes tried both SSL and SSL/TLS
apparently someone has it working using START/TLS rather than SSL.

s.horsfield

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2011
New Zealand
yes tried both SSL and SSL/TLS
apparently someone has it working using START/TLS rather than SSL.

Same issues I'm getting on my Android phone (running 2.2 Huawei skinned Android, I'm waiting for the 5S). I had a Nexus 4 for 4 months or so (before selling it, waiting for 5S as I said). If I recall correctly Apple's iCloud server settings were broken then (when I initially bought the Nexus 4). After searching around I found a thread that fixed my issues (a couple of slight settings changes basically). A few months down the road my outgoing mail stopped working, however the mail was already setup so I could at least receive, at a guess I would assume this was when the SSL handshake errors started happening. I can't find a fix anywhere for these issues

EDIT: Since using "TSL: Accept all certificates" things are working fine!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.