iCloud emails not pushing on iOS devices?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by schmidt65, May 29, 2013.

1. schmidt65 macrumors 6502

Anyone else having issues with iCloud emails not pushing on IOS devices? It works fine on my imac and at www.icloud.com, but about a week ago emails to my icloud address stopped pushing to all my IOS devices (iphone 5, iPad 4th Gen & iPad Mini)

Anyone else having issues? Have tried deleting accounts, resetting settings, turning push off and on again - nothing works.

Push works fine on the same devices for my work (exchange) account, so it's just icloud emails.

Driving me mad!

2. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

Do you just have one icloud address or are you trying to add a second?

3. schmidt65 thread starter macrumors 6502

Just one. Been working fine for ages (ever since I had the address) but it just stopped working on all my IOS devices a week or so ago. Fetch works fine, push refuses to. I've even set up a fresh iphone with just the icloud account, and it still doesn't work so it's definitely an issue with my icloud account rather than any of my devices.

I'm out of ideas, even Apple don't have a clue what's wrong :(

4. 7enderbender, May 30, 2013
    Last edited: May 30, 2013

7enderbender macrumors 6502a

7enderbender

Same problem here. It comes and goes which makes it even more difficult to pinpoint the root cause. What network are you on?

I'm on T-mobile, Boston area. Exchange account works fine. iCloud emails not so much. Right now I'm back to normal with mails taking seconds to a few minutes to push to my iPhone 5. Last night it took hours. No outage reports at Apple. T-mobile can't find an issue at my location either.

5. 7enderbender macrumors 6502a

7enderbender

If it's persisting check perhaps the "Mail days to sync" setting on the Exchange Account. Independent of my current issue I experienced that in the past. I had accidentally changed the default setting of "one week" (yours may be different, check with your IS dept) to something else. That somehow seemed to throw off something else with the phone and the iCloud push stopped working even though it is a different account. Surprisingly, the Exchange account kept working normally although it never pulled anything older than one week. My guess is that it kept looking for or waiting for something to come from the Exchange server which blocked something else (which may also include the way your calendars work).

I wish I could be more specific but none of this stuff is really documented anywhere and the "geniuses" were completely useless in this case. I had to figure this all out by myself spending an entire Sunday on that. Their response was pretty much: meh, who needs push mail anyway, just set it to pull every 15 minutes like any other trustfund hippie at your local Starbucks.... ;-)

Now I'm back to square one with this. Like I said, it's working right now but I feel like I can't trust Apple devices when it comes to stuff like this and I'm really not sure yet if I really want to go that route when my next computer updates are due by the end of the year.

Yes, it all "just works" - if you're into pretty screens and have otherwise low expectations and don't work for a living with potentially time sensitive issues.

6. schmidt65 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry to hear you're having the same issue. I've spent the last 4 days on the phone with apple trying to pinpoint the issue, but they've had no luck yet and they've tried everything. The issue has now been escalated and my account is now in trouble shooting mode with an engineer. Will update when I hear anything, but even a new test account (which was linked to my icloud account) still refused to work! No idea what's causing this.

7. 7enderbender macrumors 6502a

7enderbender

Any chance this is a hardware failure?

8. 7enderbender macrumors 6502a

7enderbender

9. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

Delete the account off the phone and create a new one to test to see if the new one works as it should. If it does then that tells me there is nothing wrong with the phone and the problem is narrowed down to just your account itself. Which if that's the case, how much email content you keeping on the server?

10. schmidt65 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope not a hardware fault, as it's the same issue on my iPhone, iPad & iPad Mini.

A test account set up by apple support (but set up under my icloud ID) also failed to work. It's been with an apple engineer for a few days now, and they're still working on it!

11. 7enderbender macrumors 6502a

7enderbender

Didn't delete it but switching it on an off brought it back to life yesterday - and the phone genius was mighty proud that he "solved" my problem. Issue is that that doesn't solve anything because it could go ad again any moment without anyone able to tell me a root cause.

I'm not "keeping" anything on the server, I'm going with the default settings and I don't see anything where I could tell it to keep a week's or a month's worth of email like I can on my corporate Exchange server. It's far from being maxed out.

Is there a setting somewhere either on the phone or on the web where I can limit that? I only need current stuff on there so I'd be happy to free up space if that's the issue.