Other iCloud family sharing question

mritech

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2015
Ok guys I need help here. I called Apple they had no idea either.

I have a 200 gig plan and family shared with my daughter for her iPod and iPad backups

My wife has her own 50 gig plan. I want to family share it with her too. Sounds simple enough but....all her content is not on the device itself (easily 40 gigs of pics on the cloud) so how do I stop her extra iCloud storage and get that content to be shared on to a partition of my plan?

timeconsumer

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Ok guys I need help here. I called Apple they had no idea either.

I have a 200 gig plan and family shared with my daughter for her iPod and iPad backups

My wife has her own 50 gig plan. I want to family share it with her too. Sounds simple enough but....all her content is not on the device itself (easily 40 gigs of pics on the cloud) so how do I stop her extra iCloud storage and get that content to be shared on to a partition of my plan?
On her phone you’d probably have to disable her plan. Then you’d want to invite her to your family plan and it would probably take over from there.

mritech

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2015
But then what would happen to the content on the cloud? Cause if her 50 went down to 5 gig where’s all that data go?

That’s a great idea though cause if it would just take over that would be awesome but Apple has these weird quirks that you have to do things a certain way or it will not work

timeconsumer

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
But then what would happen to the content on the cloud? Cause if her 50 went down to 5 gig where’s all that data go?

That’s a great idea though cause if it would just take over that would be awesome but Apple has these weird quirks that you have to do things a certain way or it will not work
According to here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208147

It says:
  1. Go to Settings > [your name].
  2. Tap Family Sharing.
  3. Tap iCloud Storage.
  4. Follow the steps to share your existing plan, or if necessary, upgrade to a 200GB or 2TB plan.
  5. Use Messages to let any family members with an existing paid storage plan know that they can now switch to your shared storage plan.
So it sounds like it should be seamless. Maybe on her phone there will be an option to use family share instead of her personal plan.