iCloud file sharing/syncing like "Dropbox"/"iDisk"

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by 3282868, Sep 1, 2013.

1. 3282868, Sep 1, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013

3282868 macrumors 603

Since "iDisk" was removed during the "iCloud" transition in 2012, some hints/speculation point to full file storage and sharing via iCloud bet OS X/Windows/iOS. Specifically, developers have noticed tagging files an "iCloud" tag links tagged iCloud documents to the OS X folder in ~/Library/Mobile Documents/

Some speculate the cloud symbol at the top of the "Mobile Documents" folder may allow drag and drop file sharing once OS X and iOS 7 are released. Thoughts? :)

Attached Files:

2. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

I hope so. It'd be nice to have a sort of Dropbox functionality with iCloud.

3. arteggio macrumors member

By pinning the Mobile Documents folder (or a folder you make within it) to the sidebar, you can indeed use it for multi-computer drag and drop like DropBox. I do hope there's more OS X - iOS functionality though, along with AirDrop.

4. cammykool macrumors regular

5. arteggio macrumors member

I'll have to test it on the same setup. It used to work! But I actually found I didn't use it as frequently as DropBox, where I have an established folder hierarchy as it is.

6. cammykool macrumors regular

i would use db but i dont want to clutter up my task area

7. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Doubt it. People were speculating about it when DP1 was rolled out, but there has been no evidence of this working ever since, and I'd imagine Apple would have wanted developers to test it before releasing it to the general public where precious files may be at risk due to bugs; so to me it looks like this isn't happening this year and our iCloud files will remain sandboxed. The rumors (which all came from a 9to5Mac article listing new features) seem to me made-up/wishful thinking.

----------

But those files are still sandboxed from other apps outside of Finder. You might get Finder to see them, but none of the iOS devices will, and none of the iWork apps will see the files in their respective iCloud panes, so it becomes extremely inconvenient to use this. The beauty with Dropbox is it's universal compatibility.

8. 3282868 thread starter macrumors 603

Good points. I recall the sandboxing issue re: Finder recognizing non-app related documents, and hoped Apple planned on opening file sharing outside of dedicated app's closer to GM. Love Dropbox, didn't use iDisk outside of hosting. The return of "Keychain Syncing" coupled with the mentioned behavior raised hopes that Apple may compete against Google Drive/Dropbox/etc. Perhaps in the future. :)

Ditto on that.

I remember trying this a while back. I lost track of any news on this matter in hopes it would "appear" in a DP release. AirDrop would be hugely benefitted with OS X and iOS interoperability, add on Dropbox functionality, and I'm sold.

9. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

doing away with iDisk is one of my major complaints I have towards Apple. I loved iDisk and used it daily. I was really hoping they did away with it because they were taking over dropbox or some other cloud storage, were going to revamp it and launch it. Well, needless to say I'm still waiting, in the meantime I took to using SkyDrive.

Frank

10. 3282868 thread starter macrumors 603

How do you like Skydrive? I've been using Dropbox for a long time, tried "box" as well. Mostly for 1Password and other app syncing, and occasionally file sharing.

I'd love to have iDisk syncing back; automatic seamless OS X folder syncing was great between my work and home Mac's. Cue iCloud data syncing/sharing just after my extra free 20GB's of extra storage runs out this fall. I'm barely using 1GB of the 25GB's of iCloud storage. That much storage never made sense to me if we can't use it outside of device backups and iWork documents and photo streaming.