Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mainstay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2011
BC
I came here to ask what the general consensus is from those running the BETA version of iCloud and from just reading the titles of the posts I am learning that this is not yet ready for primetime.

I am completely fed up with google apps management of my business email that I was looking for alternatives. (gmail keeps locking my account and invariably it's when I'm sitting with a client).

So I'm getting the gist that iCloud isn't quite there yet? (I know it's beta, but lion was released in beta form and they are running with it)

Any good, solid IMAP or exchange hosts that aren't going to severely impact my overhead?

Email, contacts, and calendars... that's all I'm after.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
What's the issue with gmail? We run 6500 enterprise seats and it's the most stabile email, calendar and contact platform I've seen in three decades...

-t

mainstay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2011
BC
I access a SINGLE account from 3 computers and 1 mobile device.

CONSTANTLY locked out of my account and have to unlock captcha.

I ended up making my password "stronger" but there was NO support on this issue and having to read through the forums for hours is not a fun way to spend a business day.

That was resolved only to have: "the server returned the error: account exceeded command or bandwidth limits (failure)"

what the what?

7% account utilization and I've triggered some security measure.

No indication as to what I've done, or how to resolve the issue.

I feel like I'm walking through a mine field with this service. Never know where I'm going to step and set off another land mine which will knock me out of business for another day.

This latest issue suggests that if I just wait 24 - 48 hours the problem should go away. WHAT THE **** is that?!

I need a service that works and allows me to continue to do business.

Thinking of switching to a hosted exchange system like sherweb.

Any thoughts?

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
I need a service that works and allows me to continue to do business.

If you need enterprise-level support, don't even consider any Apple products. What a miserable experience. One company I was working for looked into it; trying to discuss technical problems with Apple is like trying to explain the insurance industry to a 5-year old.

I'm surprised you are having problems with Google; in general I've found their Google Apps support to be very responsive.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I'm thinking that iCloud won't be fit for business. Its strange that Apple is moving away from MobileMe aka .Mac when parts of their website toots Business uses.

The main thing I'm concern is with Mail and iDisk. My mail is set up so I can use with my business. iDisk I heavily use for business. Wether its moving photos or huge files. I don't see anything with gmail or any other email client.

Its like you have to configure your whole Mail account to use all the 3rd party apps that you conduct business with.

sorry I haven't found the answer yet either.. Send a complaint to Apple MobileMe. Maybe they will rethink their decision.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
I came here to ask what the general consensus is from those running the BETA version of iCloud and from just reading the titles of the posts I am learning that this is not yet ready for primetime.

I am completely fed up with google apps management of my business email that I was looking for alternatives. (gmail keeps locking my account and invariably it's when I'm sitting with a client).

So I'm getting the gist that iCloud isn't quite there yet? (I know it's beta, but lion was released in beta form and they are running with it)

Any good, solid IMAP or exchange hosts that aren't going to severely impact my overhead?

Email, contacts, and calendars... that's all I'm after.
This is an area that has never been of importance to Apple no matter how much lip service they give.

iCloud and Business do not even belong in the same conversation.

It's just how it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.