Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
iCloud Photo Library Was Pulled At The Last Minute.

How many times does this need to be repeated before people stop making threads. Sticky this for crying out loud.

With iCloud Photo Library, you (would have had) the option to Optimize storage space on the device if you wish, instead of storing full quality photos locally.

But no, what you would NOT have, is the ability to delete a photo locally and keep it stored in the cloud. Not as part of the master library, anyway. Using shared albums, you could do this.

Furthermore, iCloud Photo Library, the way it is intended to work, is the exact opposite of "Let me delete this one photo off my phone, but it stays in the library in the cloud." I'm sorry if you feel like that is a good way of managing a Photo library, but I agree with Apple that it is unnecessary....and the breadth of their new solution (the one they PULLED for someone unknown reason) is how it should be.

----------

Explain how it is that you cannot do this right this very second.

(Hint: I'm doing it).

What's the point of backing up to the cloud if all our photos are lost on the cloud as soon as the phone gets erased?

What if someone switches to android but doesn't want to lose their precious photos, they sell their freshly erased phone to a friend, but still wants to view these photos online, maybe via their .icloud domain ?

Having them tied to the phone makes backing up completely useless, because it's only viable should you be upgrading/downgrading to another apple device.

misterclutch

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2014
I was wondering how could you upload photos and videos to your iCloud account using your iPhone and iPad. dropbox and google drive made things simpler. Whoever came up with this ridiculous idea from Apple should be fired.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Le sigh.

I have to use Apple products for work. I have no other choice. You keep trying to justify changing from a system that worked extremely well for many people, and you just aren't doing it. Now, because I don't like how they changed it, I have to switch platforms?

Do you not see the difference in having to post things to Facebook and having them upload into the cloud automatically? They are two very, very different things.

In the old way, I could take 10 photos at a concert and all of them would upload to Photostream. I would then 9 of the 10 from my phone, keeping the best one locally stored to save space. The other 9 would then be accessible via Photostream if I wanted to look at them. Why is this such a difficult concept for you to grasp?
Yes. You don't like it, you have to switch. You are a nobody. Apple is not going to write a custom ROM and Cloud service to suite your whims. Sorry. Face reality.

Facebook has albums. You can set to private. (or used to, my account has been disabled for nearly a year), Basically works like cloud storage.

Photostream still took up space. You had no clue how the old system worked... luckily that doesn't matter any more, other than it adds to your confusion here... hmmm. Yea, photo stream STILL took space on your device. See attached.

I don't have it, so had to google. 614MB in this person's case.
Each photo you take will be stored in your Camera Roll as well as your Photo Stream albums.
https://gigaom.com/2013/08/09/need-...ckly-delete-all-photos-from-your-camera-roll/

Attachments

• photo-and-camera-usage-on-iphone.jpg
    photo-and-camera-usage-on-iphone.jpg
    966.5 KB · Views: 180

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I was wondering how could you upload photos and videos to your iCloud account using your iPhone and iPad. dropbox and google drive made things simpler. Whoever came up with this ridiculous idea from Apple should be fired.

Photos are always uploaded to iCloud.

Videos I'm unsure about. But you can upload them using iMovie or any app that implements the iCloud Drive API.

trebb

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
Yes. You don't like it, you have to switch. You are a nobody. Apple is not going to write a custom ROM and Cloud service to suite your whims. Sorry. Face reality.

Facebook has albums. You can set to private. (or used to, my account has been disabled for nearly a year), Basically works like cloud storage.

Photostream still took up space. You had no clue how the old system worked... luckily that doesn't matter any more, other than it adds to your confusion here... hmmm. Yea, photo stream STILL took space on your device. See attached.

I don't have it, so had to google. 614MB in this person's case.

https://gigaom.com/2013/08/09/need-...ckly-delete-all-photos-from-your-camera-roll/

Even if it did take up storage, it was nowhere near the same amount. The first comment in that article you posted:

"Photos in photostream are saved at device resolution on iOS devices, not original size, so they are typically 10-20% the file size of originals (depends on camera res). Photostream does transport originals to any PC/Mac endpoint, though."

You are an absolute sheep, my friend. The fact that you feel you have to point out you have deactivated your Facebook account shows exactly that. Keep drinking that kool-aid while not having a mind of your own.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Even if it did take up storage, it was nowhere near the same amount. The first comment in that article you posted:

"Photos in photostream are saved at device resolution on iOS devices, not original size, so they are typically 10-20% the file size of originals (depends on camera res). Photostream does transport originals to any PC/Mac endpoint, though."

You are an absolute sheep, my friend. The fact that you feel you have to point out you have deactivated your Facebook account shows exactly that. Keep drinking that kool-aid while not having a mind of your own.

I'm a sheep... because I don't follow society and have an active Facebook account... there seems to be no logic here...

Padmini

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2014
You keep trying to justify changing from a system that worked extremely well for many people

A matter of opinion, that is not easily backed up.

It did not "extremely well" for anyone. It just was the way it was, for better or worse.

If you ask me Camera Roll + Local Albums + Photostream + Shared Albums was a horrible solution. Manually managing photos in anyway is a horrible solution.

They got it right with iCloud Photo Library + Shared Albums. Unfortunately they completely botched everything by pulling it at the last minute.

Padmini

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2014
What's the point of backing up to the cloud if all our photos are lost on the cloud as soon as the phone gets erased?

What if someone switches to android but doesn't want to lose their precious photos, they sell their freshly erased phone to a friend, but still wants to view these photos online, maybe via their .icloud domain ?

Having them tied to the phone makes backing up completely useless, because it's only viable should you be upgrading/downgrading to another apple device.

Thats not how it works at all.

----------

View attachment 493067 as said before I don't have this option for some reason.

I am using iOS 8

Alot of us NON DEVELOPERS don't have that option. I certainly don't have it.

It. Was. Pulled. From. Public. Release.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Alot of us NON DEVELOPERS don't have that option. I certainly don't have it.
I'm not a developer either..., I only just got 8 last week when the GM circulated. When I discovered iPhoto got killed on my iPad, and photos got reworked. and figured it all out.

trebb

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
Then enlighten me, rather then just telling me I'm wrong...

There is no point in responding to Padmini or Menel. They will just say that the old way sucked, the new one is better, and you need to go read to understand.

njchris

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca USA
View attachment 493067 as said before I don't have this option for some reason.

I am using iOS 8

I don't have that option either on my 5s. (and I don't have a Mac.. have a Windows PC)

So, now if I want to make space on my phone and keep my icloud photos I have to go to a computer and back up my icloud photos before deleting them off my phone? That just seems ridiculous. My computer kept ALL my photostream/icloud photos (the phone limited to 1000 I think?).. now this isn't what is going to happen?? Something doesn't seem right here.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
iCloud Photo Library Was Pulled At The Last Minute.

How many times does this need to be repeated before people stop making threads. Sticky this for crying out loud.

With iCloud Photo Library, you (would have had) the option to Optimize storage space on the device if you wish, instead of storing full quality photos locally.

But no, what you would NOT have, is the ability to delete a photo locally and keep it stored in the cloud. Not as part of the master library, anyway. Using shared albums, you could do this.

Furthermore, iCloud Photo Library, the way it is intended to work, is the exact opposite of "Let me delete this one photo off my phone, but it stays in the library in the cloud." I'm sorry if you feel like that is a good way of managing a Photo library, but I agree with Apple that it is unnecessary....and the breadth of their new solution (the one they PULLED for someone unknown reason) is how it should be.

----------

relax buddy! you say it's pulled...10 other people say "DUH it's in your photo settings in iCloud you idiots making these pointless threads!"

I was never confused with iCloud before at all....but wth happened that some people get iCloud Photo library and some don't?

From a demo stand point...apple makes it appear that there is an iCloud Drive App and that it's not integrated in each app.

How do you slash prices on storage and make all that active if you're not 100% up and running?

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
I don't have that option either on my 5s. (and I don't have a Mac.. have a Windows PC)

So, now if I want to make space on my phone and keep my icloud photos I have to go to a computer and back up my icloud photos before deleting them off my phone? That just seems ridiculous. My computer kept ALL my photostream/icloud photos (the phone limited to 1000 I think?).. now this isn't what is going to happen?? Something doesn't seem right here.

Yet people seem to think it's simpler then ever to understand...

Jstuts5797

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2013
I will be completly honest. I love ios 8 and Apple in general. The one thing I've never liked or understood was apples convoluted and messy way of organizing photos and videos on ios devices. When they introduced the photo stream it just got even more weird and unintuitive. Then came icloud to just confuse and make everything even more messy. Just a couple of months ago I finally got all my photo folders and camera rolls and photostreams figure out. And to keep things simple is only been using icloud to backup device settings and contacts. I elected to ot activate icloud drive because it seems it would only yet again complicate matters as I've just NOW got things setup how I want them. In not activating icloud drive it doesn't seem that I have lost any functionality I had before ios 8 and I'm completely happy. My point is, is its a feature i will probably never use and I'm ok with that. I agree Apples way of photo organization, camera rolls, photostreams, and icloud integration just plain sucks, but guess what? You don't have to use it!

rmbpuser

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2012
so how do i access my music files, videos and my pdf files on icloud drive from ios?

also will i be able to access a folder that has both pictures videos music and documents that are related for example a project? can i even do that? icould drive for ios looks like nothing, literally nothing.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Thats not how it works at all.

----------

It. Was. Pulled. From. Public. Release.

was it on the macrumors front page??

----------

I will be completly honest. I love ios 8 and Apple in general. The one thing I've never liked or understood was apples convoluted and messy way of organizing photos and videos on ios devices. When they introduced the photo stream it just got even more weird and unintuitive. Then came icloud to just confuse and make everything even more messy. Just a couple of months ago I finally got all my photo folders and camera rolls and photostreams figure out. And to keep things simple is only been using icloud to backup device settings and contacts. I elected to ot activate icloud drive because it seems it would only yet again complicate matters as I've just NOW got things setup how I want them. In not activating icloud drive it doesn't seem that I have lost any functionality I had before ios 8 and I'm completely happy. My point is, is its a feature i will probably never use and I'm ok with that. I agree Apples way of photo organization, camera rolls, photostreams, and icloud integration just plain sucks, but guess what? You don't have to use it!

you are missing the point. all the know it all's have this magic iCloud Photo library on their devices and are understanding how it works. Those that don't have that option, simply aren't able to understand bc it's not an OPTION lol. why is this such a difficult concept to grasp instead of people just being jerks?

Born2run45

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2012
That's weird :(

I don't know. Maybe I got it because I have the Yosemite public beta and activated it there? and it propagated to the phone??

Like HealthKit and ApplePay delayed, some of this may also be.

i also have yosemite public beta 3 on my MacBook pro and i don't have those settings. apple must have pulled icloud photo library at the last minute. this is really a mess

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.