iCloud... Help me please

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by ijon01, Sep 19, 2014.

1. ijon01 macrumors member

Hi all, I really need help understanding iCloud, I get that it's online storage / backup but the options within icloud confuse me...

Basically I want to do a complete backup of my phone via my phone over wifi, I thought "Backup" would cover this but it says it doesn't do contacts, it does photos, docs and settings and what not?????

So do I have to have contacts turned on as well as backup???

It confuses me :confused: any help would be appreciated, thank you :)

2. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Whatever you want backed up you need to turn on in iCloud settings. Go to Settings>>> iCloud and make sure contacts is set to On.

3. ijon01 thread starter macrumors member

So the Backup option only backs up a few things, contacts are one of the most important things on a phone, thought this would have been covered by "Backup"... guess not.

Cheers :)

4. LV426 macrumors 6502a

Not at all. iCloud backup can backup all kinds of things, including contacts, if you enable them under Settings / iCloud. Go and have a look at your settings.

All my contacts are iCloud contacts, and these get backed up. However, if you have contacts stored on third party systems e.g.Yahoo, they might not be considered to be iCloud contacts. Perhaps someone else could confirm this...

5. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

iCloud does back up contacts.