Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fenix Funk

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2008
1. Download your favorite iCloud folder icon
2. Disable iCloud drive in Finder Preferences
3. Goto ~Library and locate the Mobile Documents folder
4. Get Info on Mobile Documents folder and paste in iCloud icon
5. Drag Mobile Documents to window sidebar
6. Select Mobile Documents, Right Click and rename to iCloud. You can not
use iCloud Drive - the name is already taken).

I'm not able to place the Mobile Documents folder into the sidebar.
I made an alias though, and could put that in the sidebar and its icon appears.

The problem is, renaming it changes the name of the original folder, which can't be good for syncing purposes, and doesn't change the name in the sidebar. It remains Mobile Documents.

Now who knows how to make the Downloads folder have a colorful icon (using Simbl and ColorfulSidebar turns Downloads into a blank document icon)?

You change the Downloads icon with the same method stated by w0lf.
Just replace the array name tDwn with the path of the icon you want to use.

Last edited:

jdownward

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2014
Regrettably you are correct

Thanks for catching this. Unfortunately, renaming the alias in the sidebar, does rename the physical Mobile Devices directory. Accessed from the sidebar, the iCloud (drive), the contents of the directory appears to be as before (e.g. folders for Pages,Numbers, Keynote and documents you may drag there), but if one opens iCloud Drive from an Open/Save dialog of any of the applications that support iCloud Drive, one now sees the funky folder structure that supports iPhone/iPad apps that store stuff there. So using Preview to access a file on iCloud Drive looks strange. So I renamed it back to Mobile Devices. Lost the nice icon. Sigh!

As to Downloads, I had incorrectly thought the tDwn array name was the index used to identify the side bar icon. When I changed tDwn to the file path to the icon, the sidebar icon changed. So ColorfulSidebar must select which sidebar icon name to colorize based on the order of the list.

Fenix Funk

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2008
As to Downloads, I had incorrectly thought the tDwn array name was the index used to identify the side bar icon. When I changed tDwn to the file path to the icon, the sidebar icon changed. So ColorfulSidebar must select which sidebar icon name to colorize based on the order of the list.
If you expand the array tDwn, you'll see that there is a string named ~\Downloads attached to it which specifies its location. Same with all the arrays.
This is why we're trying to figure out what the correct string for iCloud Drive is.

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
No way I can see around this in the Yosemite GM. Most likely colorfulsidebar would need to be updated.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
So I renamed it back to Mobile Devices. Lost the nice icon.

I just live with Mobile Documents in the sidebar but with the iCloud Drive icon - bizarrely in TotalFinder Tabs it shows with the correct icon and named "iCloud Drive"....

I'll leave it like that pending an update on the missing iCloud icon...

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
EasySIMBL has been updated to 1.7.1 for compatibility to OSX 10.10
https://github.com/norio-nomura/EasySIMBL
cDock also to 6.1.2
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdock/files/

If you want to color your Finder sidebar and not have a messed up iCloud Drive icon both Total Finder and XtraFinder have gotten it working.

I on the other hand have no idea how to fix the issue with the colorfulsidebar bundle so it will remain broken in cDock unless someone else comes up with a solution or I try to fix it myself (which is unlikely).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.