Icloud iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gadget123, Jun 28, 2011.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Would adding SD memory cards support not be better than Icloud?

It would be good for that and for digital camera cards.

2. DeeEss macrumors 6502a

I agree. I guess it suits them better and they can make more money this way.

SD slot would solve quite a few of my problems.

3. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

IMO no. iCloud allows you to upload and share your stuff, plus it's more than just storage, it's email, contacts, etc....

4. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Would still be good for SD cards but I doubt it would happen.

5. Carouser macrumors 65816

WTF? SD cards are external storage and iCloud is a synchronizing solution. The fact that iCloud has caps on the amount of data synchronized doesn't make it external storage. The whole point of iCloud is that you don't have to transfer stuff across devices. Take a picture with your iPhone, bam, it's on all your Apple stuff. iCloud makes SD cards borderline irrelevant.

6. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

And just how much is Apple charging for iCloud?

Right ....

7. Zcott macrumors 68020

SD cards are old technology. If companies like Apple went to SD cards we'd never see any improvement and we'd still be using steam power. Apple have a once in a lifetime chance to switch the world onto cloud technology.

8. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

Yup. The cloud is where it is at.

9. riam macrumors regular

I don't see a retation between icloud And sd cards they serve different purposes

10. rcp27 macrumors regular

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A

Done ages ago.

I don't see how this will help me sync my iTunes content between my iPad and iPhone without lots of plugging into iTunes on my computer at home, though, which is what iCloud is about.

11. taipan61 macrumors 6502

if it's all about who can tote around the largest amount of storage i would like them to make a fully capable wireless external HD (yep, i know about the Seagate Goflex and the Airstash, but the reviews aren't really good yet...)
    and while a big supporter of any clouds (all the family shares multiple dropbox accounts) there is a big advantage of a large local wireless storage unit that doesn't need a wifi or data connection.
    i think a SD card would limit the amount of storage and it is so last years tech

my .02 cents

12. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

SD card access won't happen, just like access to Flash........

13. fattire357 macrumors regular

i'm still not sure what I am going to get from iCloud.

Everything I need is already provided from dropbox and google. I guess I'll wait and see, but I'm starting to see iCloud as Apple just trying to replace Google with its own service on iOS, just like how it is trying to replace Google Maps. except google/dropbox work excellently on all platforms :D

-with the exception of app backups, meh.

14. rienrah macrumors newbie

I don't want all those items to sync. I want my music on my nano, my movies, apps and games on my Touch and my photos and documents on my laptop. It would be a big inconvenience to me if all of my devices were determined to mirror each other.

15. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Except for that whole camera connection kit thing.

16. bukmba macrumors newbie

Well the iCloud Document Storage, at least for my understanding, must be integrated into the apps you use. Thus our free choice for the apps to use is limited to those with that implementation. Apple said they want to get rid of the file system. This can make things more complicated than improve. If you have one folder for clients xyz and you want to store all related docs, e.g. Spreadsheets, documents, presentations, photos, PDFs, then this won't be possible. Your files will be cluttered among all the related apps. There obviously won't be one central place anymore from where you can see all the files related to a certain client. No filesystem = no file browser.
    This concerns me quite a bit and Dropbox might still be the ultimate cloud storage to use for that.
    As much as I love Apple as much I hate that they want to tell me the way I have to work. They should leave that choice up to us and thus also implement dropbox into iworks for example.