iCloud: Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacNoobGuy, Nov 2, 2013.

1. MacNoobGuy macrumors 6502

Hi all, I'm running Mavericks and I've got an iPod Touch 4 and now when I try to use the Apple 'Notes App' I'm unable to 'locally sync' it to my Mac. I checked Google and the only way I can continue to access the notes I made on the iPod Touch is by using iCloud, but I don't really want to use iCloud as I'll need to create a new email address.

Is it worth me trying out iCloud and going through the headache of learning something new?

Thanks for any help!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I use iCloud and it works great for syncing everything over the air.

You don't have to use iCloud for email if you don't want to. You can go to the iCloud settings both in iOS and OS X and turn on everything in iCloud except iCloud email, then just use whatever service you want for your email.

If you want to make sure you get the occasional security alert email Apple sends to your iCloud account, you can go to iCloud.com and forward the iCloud emails to your regular email address.

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

To me, iCloud is worth it. As a former .mac, them .me and now an iCloud user, I find it to be not only worth having the free account, I shelled out for extra storage so my 32 GB iPhone and 32 GB iPad mini can both back up without busting my storage limit. Email? Not so much. I want to use iCloud as an "email aggregator", forwarding my half dozen or so accounts to it and replying as whoever the email was addressed to. Whenever I've asked Apple about this feature either in the store or on the phone, they refer to it as an "advanced feature" they don't intend to support. So I use gmail for email and iCloud for everything else.

If you only use it for backing up one iPhone and for Photostream and for iCloud sync of apps like notes and iWork, you should be able to get by within the 5GB free allotment.

Hope this helps...