"iCloud is near full" glitch??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macTW, Mar 6, 2017.

1. macTW Suspended

My girlfriend, two of my coworkers and myself all received notifications that our iCloud memory was nearly full and recommended purchasing more. None of us have ever used iCloud, and have been iOS/macOS users for half a decade.

Anybody else notice this glitch today?

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Have you/they tried checking to see how "full" iCloud storage might really be?

3. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

Consider the possibility of a phishing scam.

However, there are so many features to iCloud, and signing into iCloud is so embedded in device/OS setup these days, that "I don't use it" often turns out to be a mistaken notion. Just go into Settings and/or System Preferences and see what's actually going on.

4. macTW thread starter Suspended

We're not stupid... at least, we don't question other peoples' common sense to make up for our own.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 6, 2017 ---
    macOS and iOS iCloud all are 4.99GB remaining out of 5GB, the usual for the last five years. I'm trying to find out if this is a glitch on Apple or a phishing scam/software vulnerability.

5. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

Email notification, or popup? iOS, Mac, or both?

6. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

I've been getting the same error since install the last iOS Beta...

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

What? o_O

8. macTW thread starter Suspended

Mine was macOS. Coworkers and girlfriend was iOS, and none were email.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 7, 2017 ---
    Hmm. I wonder what it is then. I can't find much when I google search.

9. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

Are the popups continuing?

There's a handful of services that, if turned on, could immediately push someone past the 5GB limit - iCloud Photo Library (iOS and Mac), iCloud Backup (iOS), Desktop and/or Documents folder in iCloud Drive (MacOS Sierra). However, the popups for those are pretty explicit, and it's very much a cause-and-effect relationship, not an unbidden surprise.

This doesn't seem to be a widespread phenomenon (I haven't seen any me-too posts, or other threads), so it's kind of odd that you have a cluster of several people affected. Do all affected individuals have separate iCloud accounts, or is anyone sharing accounts?