iCloud is prompting me with my old Apple ID. How do I change this?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, Feb 12, 2014.

1. TH55 macrumors 68030

When I attempt to turn off "find my iPhone" it prompts me with the small window that says my old email address I used for my Apple ID. No idea how that happened but when I try to type in my password it says incorrect I'm assuming bc it is no longer my Apple ID/iCloud username.

I tried resetting my password on the website but nothing shows up in that email account. Confused!

2. 869639 macrumors 6502

Odd situation that when you try to reset your password via apple website and nothing shows up...I've never seen this to be the case.

and based on that at least 10% of the people reading your post [like my self] are thinking this phone does not belong to you

3. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Do you want me to take a video of it? I put in my email address and it sends nothing. It's obviously bc there is no longer an account associated with the email address since it's my old Apple ID. For some reason my iCloud is still associated with this email address.

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

You should start one thread and ask all your questions there..

In this case, I would contact Apple customer service.

5. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

I would but there are certain issues that people who might have previously dismissed or been unable to relate to other threads and therefore might not click on a collective thread would understand and be interested in.

6. 869639 macrumors 6502

I'm not sure you have the knowledge of what you are saying....

Apple ID can be iCloud ID only if its @icloud.com or @me.com

An iCloud ID cannot be any other email address [ex @hotmail, @gmail etc)

App Store ID = Can be any email address from any provider [ex @hotmail, @gmail @icloud @me @yahoo etc]

7. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Then why is it prompting me w my old Apple ID email address?

8. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Because it's the account you used to set up the phone, I'd imagine.

Go to Settings, iCloud. What account is shown there? Your old one, or your new one? If it's the old one, you'll need to re-login with your new account.

9. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

The old one is shown, but it won't let me log out without turning off find my iPhone which requires the password. This is strange.

10. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

As someone else suggested, you need to contact Apple.

11. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

I'd rather not sit on the phone for 30 minutes if someone can tell me here which it appears they can.

12. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

There's nothing anyone here can tell you. If it won't accept your password for your old account, you'll need to talk to Apple CS to have them access that account and change your password. You need to disassociate that account from your iCloud profile to change it to your new account. To do that, you'll need to be able to access that old account..to do that, you need Apple's help.

13. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

So another annoying, completely unnecessary problem caused by Apples poor design.

14. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Not necessarily. I've changed my Apple ID and was successfully able to update all of my devices with the new Apple ID for purchases as well as for iCloud.

It seems that you have so many issues with iOS and iOS devices, it may not be the best choice for you.

15. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

It's not on my end though, I'm just observant. It's their fault, and unfortunately I'm stuck using their products as nothing compares yet. Droids have even worse problems.

16. 869639 macrumors 6502

The countless hours you have spent begging people for "how to" instructions, you could have called Apple and solved the issue if you truly are the owner of the account [and device that is].

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

Sounds more like a glitch/oddity of some sort, which unfortunately happens to different people at different times in all kinds of businesses and systems, unrelated to some sort of design or anything like that.

18. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Hopefully

19. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

6:07 AM - Thread started
    11:13 AM - Comment about not wanting to spend 30 minutes on the phone
    4:25 PM - Problem still not solved

All times Pacific. Check your local listings for show times.