iCloud/iTunes is syncing what?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by nathanielonfire, Apr 8, 2012.

1. nathanielonfire macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I'm a first-time iPhone owner and I've got some questions about syncing. I had an iPod touch for a while but got rid of it back in 2008, so it's been a long, long while since I've dealt with syncing anything to iTunes.

1) When I bought the 4S, the agent at the store helped me set up iCloud. My understanding is that iCloud syncs your apps, contacts, calendars, music (iTunes store only music, it seems), and other things to your iOS devices. The thing is is that I only have one iOS device and the computer I'm syncing to is a PowerBook (yes, I know it's old). Is iCloud worth it or should I stick with iTunes? Can I use both without any data crossover? Does iCloud keep track of app settings (like game high scores, etc.)?

2) If I want to start syncing to another computer (since I assume my PowerBook will eventually kick the bucket), is it best to move the data from the PowerBook to the new Mac and then sync or sync the new Mac from iCloud? What about data that does not sync to iCloud?

3) If iCloud is enabled on an iOS device and then disabled, does iCloud retain the data that was originally synced?

I know my questions are kind of confusing, and to be honest, I'm completed confused by the whole iCloud nonsense (back when it was just iTunes and we had "traditional" syncing, it seemed to make more sense...at least, to me). I've done a few forum/Google searches, but I'm still very confused as to what's the best plan for me? It sounds like iCloud is more for people who have a Mac, iPad, and iPhone and are constantly using all three...

Thank you all for your help and patience.

2. errorchannel macrumors newbie

1) it syncs anything you've got selected under settings -> iCloud. The iCloud backup itself contains more like app data (saves games) - but that is not the same as syncing (it will not share this data with other devices)

You can backup to both iCloud and iTunes, but should not sync with both. For the purpose of syncing, either pick one or the other, else you risk creating duplicate entries. iTunes prevents such a thing occurring in most cases.

2) The new mac can retrieve the information from iCloud (contacts, calendars, etc) but no stuff like your CD collection. I would recommend backing up your iTunes library if you have a large music collection. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4527 explains how to do that.

3) iCloud retains the data, when you delete an account off a device, it only changes the local information of that device and not iCloud.