Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Anyone else feel that iCloud Keychain needs a bit more granularity instead of just a big on/off button?

At work, I leave my phone on LTE because our wifi sucks. But I use wifi for my ipad. Using keychain sync, my phone keeps connecting to wifi because it knows the password from the cloud. If I choose "forget this network", then the ipad won't connect automatically and I have to re-enter the password, which of course means the iphone then reconnects to wifi.

Talk about a vicious circle. Am I missing something?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Thread resurrection here, but I think that this is something Apple should address in iOS 8. My phone is set up to connect to wi-fi at my office (it has a firewall but there's an enterprise profile). I like using an aircard for my personal iPad (which does not have the enterprise profile). However, frequently my iPhone disconnects from the enterprise wi-fi and connects to the aircard, which wastes my data plan.

Kosmonaut

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2006
Thread resurrection here, but I think that this is something Apple should address in iOS 8.

I think this is something that Apple should address even more broadly than just in iOS 8. I have laptop and desktop computer in addition to my iPhone, and I have a dual-band wireless network. In most of the house, the 5GHz network is the best, but on the desktop computer in my office, 5 GHz drops out constantly (like every 10-15 seconds) and 2.4 GHz works fine. The catch is that the desktop computer would always find the 5GHz network first, so I deleted it from the known networks. Now with iCloud keychain, if I delete the 5 GHz network on my desktop, all my devices stop connecting to it, and if I connect to it on any other device, the desktop computer learns about it and starts trying to connect to it again. I thought maybe creating a location profile would solve it, but that doesn't affect the list of known networks.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Now with iCloud keychain, if I delete the 5 GHz network on my desktop, all my devices stop connecting to it, and if I connect to it on any other device, the desktop computer learns about it and starts trying to connect to it again. I thought maybe creating a location profile would solve it, but that doesn't affect the list of known networks.

Under the Advanced options dialog for the Wifi network settings, you can rearrange the networks. Networks towards the top of the list have priority over networks towards the bottom, so if it sees both, it will connect to the one closest to the top of the list first. So long as you use a different SSID for each band, this will work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.