Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is working on some useful changes for iCloud Keychain, according to details found by 9to5Mac in a leaked version of iOS 14 that has been circulating for the last few weeks.

icloudkeychain.jpg

iCloud Keychain, for those unfamiliar with the feature, stores login names and passwords for websites and apps, with the information synced across a person's iOS and Mac devices through iCloud. It is a free and useful way to manage unique passwords for each different service used.

In iOS 14, iCloud Keychain will include warnings whenever a password is reused, which should help encourage users to select different passwords for each login. With all the password leaks these days, choosing a different password for each site prevents malicious entities from being able to access multiple sites that use the same password when leaked info is obtained.

Apple also appears to be adding a way to save two-factor authentication passwords, which would presumably allow iCloud Keychain to generate two-factor authentication codes to prevent the need for a two-factor authentication app. 1Password and other password management apps already have these features, and if Apple added them, it would make iCloud Keychain an appealing alternative to paid solutions.

Apple is working on quite a few other features for iOS 14, and details on what's in the works can be found in our iOS 14 roundup.

Article Link: iCloud Keychain Gaining Password Warnings, Support for Generating Two-Factor Authentication Codes in iOS 14

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
IMO what iCloud Keychain really needs to truly compete with 1Password and other paid solutions is a radically overhauled/new version of Keychain Access (on the Mac) and some equivalent on iOS. A user interface that allows the user to interact directly with the stored information rather than everything happening invisibly.

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011
1Password and other password management apps already have these features, and if Apple added them, it would make iCloud Keychain an appealing alternative to paid solutions.
Not sure of all password management options out there, but at least Bitwarden offers these features even in the free tier.

Still, in general, I'm not sure it's a good idea to keep both passwords and 2FA secrets in the same "basket".

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
IMO what iCloud Keychain really needs to truly compete with 1Password and other paid solutions is a radically overhauled/new version of Keychain Access (on the Mac) and some equivalent on iOS. A user interface that allows the user to interact directly with the stored information rather than everything happening invisibly.
Would also need shared vaults to really compete.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Much overdue. macOS's Keychain Access app is too complex and iOS (iPadOS)'s Passwords & Accounts too simplistic. Along with aforementioned two factor authentication and password audit, I would love to see:
  • Family Sharing
  • Group multiple logins for same website
  • Manage credit cards, with support for verification number
  • Other secure data like bank account, passport, wireless router

JedWare

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Great for people that only live in Mac world but most people live in both windows and Mac and need solution that works across both. This is why it was very much appreciated that they supported third party password managers. If you need 2FA support I would recommend Authy. Literally nothing has worked better and syncs across your devices.

Allards

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2016
The Gui of Keychain is horrendous, it feels like a black box to me. That’s why I don’t store anything in the Keychain but using the free Open Source Bitwarden password manager. All the features I need are there with a good apps and cross platform support. I don’t see Apple offering a compelling alternative....

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
I'd love to see iCloud Keychain automatically adapt their 'Suggest' feature to specific password requirements. Some sites do not allow dashes, while others require a special character.

They already do. First, there appears to be a preloaded list of patterns for popular sites, I've noticed different formats being suggested. Second, HTML5 already defines a way to tell the browser what makes up a valid password. My understanding is that, where the site has provided, password managers are smart enough to use that information to generate a valid password.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW

I use Keychain for home and LastPass for work. On the Mac, I think Keychain Access is fine. But not being able to access the secure notes on iOS/iPadOS is really limiting and annoying.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Ooh, I’d love an Apple alternative to Google Authenticator.

I’m not quite sure how that works actually. Is it a proprietary Google thing, or just Google’s implementation of a standard? I’ve seen some comments above by people using different tools - do sites need to explicitly support those tools, or can you use them anywhere where Google Authenticator would work?

Reactions: Sklm

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Ooh, I’d love an Apple alternative to Google Authenticator.
I moved to Authy (free) around a year ago. Much better. Plus it will sync across devices and has a backup/restore option.

While moving from Authy and Bitwarden to a new and improved keychain would be nice, it needs (a) a total re-write of the MacOS app (b) an iOS app and (c) access from non-Apple apps such as Firefox. Until all three exist I'll stick with my current options.

Reactions: mazz0 and mainemini
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.