iCloud Keychain not as useful as I hoped

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by mrdm, Oct 25, 2013.

1. mrdm macrumors regular

It doesn't work with my primary banking and credit card sites. It will not store the password because "the site requested safari not store the password".

I'd like safari to store and use the password regardless of the website settings. This is the way 1password works and I was hoping to get similar functionality with iCloud Keychain.

Am I missing something?

2. joshforman macrumors regular

Safari has an option for allowing this for all sites.

3. mrdm thread starter macrumors regular

Found it - thanks!

4. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

Thank you, I didn't see this setting before, it's a great help.

5. Zcott macrumors 68020

Apple at least did think about security. Can't please everyone...

6. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

I have the option enabled but still can't store my login

7. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

So true.

8. Tzuten macrumors 6502

And this is why Safari now is my go to browser. Keychain + it's security > Google's password mgr.

I now have strong passwords on 90% of my sites now, little overkill.. But an ounce of prevention...

9. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

I feel you. I really want to ditch chrome, but right now I'm on a PC and Safari on it isn't up to par with OS X. Can't wait till I get my Mac next month!

10. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Doesn't this require a passcode? On mavericks, you are forced to have a password on wake, which makes it useless to me.

11. amitgiri macrumors newbie

iCloud Keychain implementation with Adobe Air application.

Hi,

I will be thankful to you, if someone can please let me know the way of implementing iCloud Keychain with an Adobe Air application for iPad.
    I have a requirement where I need to store user's IAP details, user email and password details on iCloud so that if user installs our app on some other IOS device then he can get all those details there.

Please help.

12. Zcott macrumors 68020

Maybe I've misunderstood but if a user installs your app on another iOS device all he/she has to do is choose a restore purchases option and it'll download the IAPs so the app is completely identical on both devices.

13. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

You should have a password on wake ANYWAY. If your machine is stolen, nobody can use it. Also if you encrypt your disk, they can't even snoop around and steal your information no matter what they do.

14. Cougarcat macrumors 604

In the unlikely event my machine is stolen, the first thing I'm going to do is remote wipe it. Anyway, the added security for an extremely unlikely scenario is not worth the everyday hassle, to me.

15. Richdmoore, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013

Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

Although I was hesitant to turn the password security on for after my iMac goes to sleep/screen saver, I finally did it for the advantage of saving my banking passwords. At least it can be set up to not ask for 4 hours, which should minimize the hassle factor.

I did test and see if iTeleport screen sharing still worked with the password required, it worked fine when I need to remote screen share.

I already had my ipad/iphone security turned on, because they are used on the road it made it a no-brainer to have it on for those devices.

16. kelvinzhou1000 macrumors newbie

icloud keychain

It seems that there are a lot of people don't know how important to the key protection feature for the icloud keychain.

17. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Agreed wholeheartedly on laptops that move around. But on a stationary desktop? I don't want to set a screen lock on my iMac that doesn't move and that nobody except me and my wife use. I may break down and put a screenlock on the iMac just to see if iCloud Keychain works better. But I vote for an option, perhaps only for desktops, that can opt out of the requirement for a screenlock for certain settings.

18. imacken macrumors 65816

For me, keychain on iOS just doesn't work properly at all.
    Logins for some sites, e.g. eBay, work OK and go yellow, but lots do not, e.g. Apple Dev forums.
    Everything related to keychain works fine on my Mac.
    I'm really disappointed and confused.

19. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Cant say I would want my bank and other important passwords saved.

20. imacken macrumors 65816

It's always up to you to decide what data is saved in Keychain.