iCloud keychain strong password

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by GHF, Oct 24, 2013.

1. GHF macrumors newbie

I opted for the strong password for iCloud keychain. So, when does it get used?
    My Mac Pro uses my login name to for the safari passwords, iPhone and iPad uses my 4 digit unlock pin to see credit card details. I was expecting to use the strong password for all devices.

I was also hoping iCloud keychain was going to sync up with my original Mac Keychain where you can create secure notes - so disappointed and will not be keeping any secure details in iCloud that can be accessed by a login name/pin until the strong password can be used

2. Rigby macrumors 601

See here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5813
    The iCloud Security Code is used to authorize additional devices to use your iCloud Keychain and verify your identify for performing other iCloud Keychain actions, such as recovering your iCloud Keychain if you lose all your devices.
    Be aware that this is the case already for all saved passwords on your iOS device, whether you use iCloud Keychain or not: If you use a 4-digit passcode, a determined thief can easily get to your information if you lose the device (a 4-digit passcode can be brute-forced in a matter of minutes using certain forensic software). So if you have sensitive information on your device, you'll need to use a stronger passcode.