iCloud Keychain... Two Apple IDs

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Killerbob, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

I have a setup in the house where the entire family is using one Apple ID for sharing Contacts, Calender, Notes, as well as Find My Mac. It all works fine, but in order to have FaceTime and Messages working right, everyone in the household also have their own Apple IDs for these apps. That also works fine.

Now I have just reinstalled everything on my Mac Pro, I'd like to start using "Keychain in the iCloud". However, it is my understanding that this means all the Keychain info will be distributed to everyone, and I don't want that. Hence, my question is, "can I link Keychain to a specific Apple ID?"

2. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

If you have a your own Apple ID separate from the family account, turn on iCloud Keychain, and enter that ID and its password. It will not sync the passwords to any other ID/account. Even any other devices using your ID have to be specifically allowed to access the keychain.

You can use different Apple IDs for different services, like your own ID for the Keychain, and the family ID for iTunes. Just like you have already done with FaceTime.

3. Killerbob thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thx. I went through the setup for KeyChain in the Cloud, only to find out that Apple will not SMS Greenland. Biggest island in the world, and Apple does not recognise it:(