iCloud lock- no threat after logging into new iCloud?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by will0407, Apr 24, 2014.

1. will0407, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014

will0407 macrumors 6502a

I just got my girlfriend an iphone 5s from ebay. I know there is quote a lot of stuff on the internet about people's phone becoming icloud locked, so essentially being bricked.

I got the phone this morning, and it was reset to some extent- no content on it, just the standard set up but it was on ios7.0.3 (which is good because I can jailbreak!) but it obviously mean's it's not been restored via itunes unless the seller did it a while back.

Anyhow, I have logged the phone into my girlfriend's icloud account, so is the threat of an icloud lock from the previous owner gone? I did ask them to remove it from their icloud by logging into https://www.icloud.com/#find and removing it from their devices.

Also if the phone was bought from Apple originally, can the seller still block/bar it? know if it's a contract phone you can call the network operator and they can block it but not sure if the same applies if it's directly from apple?

2. eddiec312 macrumors 6502

eddiec312

If you're able to use the phone normally and log into your icloud then there's no threat from the previous owner of icloud locking it.

As far as blacklisting the IMEI, it's technically possible they can still do that.

3. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

If they removed it from icloud.com, you'll be fine. If not, you may be locked out if you ever have to restore the phone.

4. will0407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK, well when I plugged it in it came up with the option in itunes saying 'welcome to your new phone, do you want to restore or set up as a new phone', so I guess it was reset a while ago

----------

The reason I asked about blacklisting is because the phone was not in the condition it was advertised in when it arrived. I argued back and forth with the seller and they eventually agreed to refund me a little bit, which is fine.I was/am just worried they may try and block it to try and get back at me- was listed as factory unlocked which is why I assumed it was originally bught direct from apple.

5. co.ag.2005, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014

co.ag.2005 macrumors 68000

co.ag.2005

you can reset iOS directly from the phone without having to restore via iTunes. the "erase all contents and settings" just restores the phone back to a new state but on that version of iOS it is running (so if on 7.0.3, just "restores" back to a clean 7.0.3). doing this via itunes forces the restore to 7.1.1 (or the currently signed firmware)

EDIT: this post is just referring to the first assumption that they didn't restore or clean since it's on 7.0.3

6. will0407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok thats useful to know when i come to sell my 5s. I usually manually go through and delete stuff to preserve the jailbreak on what is usually older software.