iCloud Locked iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sparker781, Feb 11, 2016.

1. sparker781 macrumors newbie

So I have the opportunity to purchase an iPad that is iCloud locked by the previous owner. I've read that I can restore the device to factory settings thus allowing me to use the iPad. Is this true? If not I won't bother since I thought that if the device was iCloud locked its of no use to anyone else.

Thanks

2. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

Stay away from it, if you don't know his ID and password, you can forget it. All you will get is a brick.

3. aristobrat macrumors G5

You can restore the device to factory settings, but then when you go to run it though the Setup Assistant, part of that process will check in with Apple's servers.

If Apple's servers still denotes the iPad as being iCloud-locked, then the iPad will prompt you to enter the owners AppleID email and password.

If you cannot provide that information, the iPad will not proceed past that screen.

4. sparker781 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks that's what I thought. I was reading some sites that said you can bypass the iCloud lock but I didn't think it was true.

I appreciate it. I want an iPad mini. Got any places I can get them cheap? I know that's a near impossible request since anything Apple is expensive
    --- Post Merged, Feb 11, 2016 ---
    Thanks for the information. I won't bother and tell them forget it

5. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Then you've read wrong. You'd be buying a brick, from someone likely selling stolen goods.

6. sparker781 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks alot all for the help. I'll make sure i stay away from it

7. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Try Swappa.com. I've bought and sold on there for years. Never a problem.

8. Ries macrumors 68000

Some sellers lock the devices until "payment cleared"/"proof that you got it". Then remove the lock remotely, by removing the device from their accounts.

He is either one of them or one who is selling a stolen device.

9. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

That seems like a good idea, until you start thinking about what would happen if the buyer refuses to pay up, and refuses to return the device? The seller is still out a device with no money. The buyer has a doorstop or a bunch of scrap glass and metal for free.