Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MatthewUT44

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2015
Arizona
Hey guys!

Pardon me but why do people sell iCloud locked iPads ? I heard they are useless and apple cannot unlock it. I was trying to buy an iPad Air off eBay and quite a few were iCloud locked.

cdm283813

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2015
Hey guys!

Pardon me but why do people sell iCloud locked iPads ? I heard they are useless and apple cannot unlock it. I was trying to buy an iPad Air off eBay and quite a few were iCloud locked.

Most people don't even know what iCloud locked is. Took me multiple times to tell someone at work that iCloud locked = bad. Run.
Apple does not do a good job explaining this or has a super easy way of checking. I still see people with stories of buying iCloud devices.

mattboner

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2014
Most people don't even know what iCloud locked is. Took me multiple times to tell someone at work that iCloud locked = bad. Run.
Apple does not do a good job explaining this or has a super easy way of checking. I still see people with stories of buying iCloud devices.
Apple? Really? Cause iCloud locked is a term made by thieves. iCloud locked = stolen

cdm283813

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2015
Apple? Really? Cause iCloud locked is a term made by thieves. iCloud locked = stolen

But why should thieves take advantage of innocent people? Just saying that the process should be visible and easy to check. If Apple makes it so easy to block devices it should be easy to check directly from the device.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
You need to switch the user agent to desktop. Works fine on my iPad in safari.
Can you teach me how you switched user agents in Safari on iPad? I'm on the iPad Air 2 and I'm also getting the "unsupported browser" message. It works well on my Mac mini, though.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Can you teach me how you switched user agents in Safari on iPad? I'm on the iPad Air 2 and I'm also getting the "unsupported browser" message. It works well on my Mac mini, though.

Touch the search bar at the top of safari where the url is. The drop down box with your favorites and frequently visited webpages will pop up. Slide that box down, it will reveal "add to favorites" and "request desktop site". Touch request desktop site.

On that webpage for the activation lock in particular you actually get redirected to an unsupported browser url so you'll need to edit the url. So just deleted the unsupported browser portion and type activationlock. More then likely the second you touch "a" the rest will autofill.

Edit, I made that sound way to complicated. Here is a video I made real quick, excuse the quality.

Reactions: ardchoille50

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
Touch the search bar at the top of safari where the url is. The drop down box with your favorites and frequently visited webpages will pop up. Slide that box down, it will reveal "add to favorites" and "request desktop site". Touch request desktop site.

On that webpage for the activation lock in particular you actually get redirected to an unsupported browser url so you'll need to edit the url. So just deleted the unsupported browser portion and type activationlock. More then likely the second you touch "a" the rest will autofill.

Edit, I made that sound way to complicated. Here is a video I made real quick, excuse the quality.

Actually, it wasn't complicated.. I understood exactly what you were doing before I got to the video. And it works perfectly, thank you for that information.

I know the "Request desktop site" item is there but I always forget about it for some reason.

mattboner

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2014
But why should thieves take advantage of innocent people? Just saying that the process should be visible and easy to check. If Apple makes it so easy to block devices it should be easy to check directly from the device.
How about stupid buyers? You're buying a pre owned item but doesn't know what to check? Are you giving your money for free? Obviously there are lot of scammers out there.

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Hey guys!

If the going prices are comparable on eBay, I'd check with your local Best Buy in their Open-Box Outlet. I found a great iPad mini 2 there geek squad-certified and practically new for a wonderful price. Whatever iPad model you're looking for is sure to be at one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.