Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

return2sendai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 22, 2018
Hi,

This is an ongoing problem. New Year, so time to solve it.

On my iMac, I go to the iCloud login page.
I enter my username.
The password prompt automatically ***** an old password.
I have to delete this ***** and enter my current password.
Then I can log in.

How do I get the iCloud login page to remember my current password?

I know it has something to do with Keychain. But Keychain is something I've never really understood. It just isn't intuitive. I think I have to open Keychain and do something with my iCloud password there. But I don't want to start faffing around with Keychain until I know what I'm doing because I'll probably end up having to reset my iCloud password on all my devices...again. I've had to do that before, but the iCloud login page still prompts my old password.

I just want the iCloud login page to remember my current password, rather than always ***** my old password.

Please help.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Open Keychain in Apps > Utilities. Once you have it loaded, the passwords are organized alphabetically. Look for applied.apple.com When you double click the correct entry, tick the box in the lower left corner that says show password. When the password is revealed, you can edit it to then input the correct password and then save. You should be good after that.

Last edited:

return2sendai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 22, 2018
Open Keychain in Apps > Utilities. Once you have it loaded, the passwords are organized alphabetically. Look for applied.apple.com When you double click the correct eatery, tick the box in the lower left coroner that says show password. When the password is revealed, you can edit it to then input the correct password and then save. You should be good after that.

So, I got as far as trying to tick the box in the lower left corner and a box opened asking for my keychain password. Which password is that? Is it my computer admin password? No. Tried that. Is it my current iCloud password? No. Tried that. Is it my old iCloud password? I no longer know what my old iCloud password is. It just shows up as **** on the iCloud login page. How do I see that? Or is it some other password? What is a keychain password?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-12-31 at 23.02.18.png
    Screenshot 2020-12-31 at 23.02.18.png
    734.3 KB · Views: 92
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.