iCloud Mail Address list breach?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by WAM2, Jun 16, 2017.

1. WAM2 macrumors 6502a

WAM2

Starting yesterday I have been getting tons of spam emails from random @mac.com addresses like every 5 minutes.

Seems to be happening to other people too.

I’ve never used my email for signing up with anything or anything like it, it’s purely a personal email. I rarely get any junk mail.

So is it possible there has been a breach and tons of active iCloud email addresses were leaked? And is there nothing we can do to stop this? I’ve been moving the junk to the junk folder and forwarding them to the iCloud address to report spam. But they keep coming from random addresses everytime that it’s just not working.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

What’s more likely is one of your friends accounts have been breached and your email happened to be picked up in that

3. QzzB macrumors regular

QzzB

I have also had this. Had my Mac.com account for many years, since .Mac was a paid for service. Never had this much spam but lately but last 2 days every few minutes.

4. WAM2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

WAM2

Wouldn’t explain why it’s happening to other people too.

5. Rigby macrumors 601

Given that active .mac addresses are quite rare these days (Apple hasn't issued such addresses since, what, about 10 years?), this seems unlikely. More likely some big spammer has configured his scripts to use random addresses from that domain.

6. BentwoodBlue macrumors member

Yep, my mother and I are in the same boat. Both our mac.com emails have been hammered..

7. campyguy macrumors 68030

I'm guessing that someone bought one of the databases from River City or another black site. Yes, I'm getting more spam as well, but this isn't anything "new" - here's a thread from 2003 that I read at the time:
    https://arstechnica.com/civis//viewtopic.php?f=19&t=660593

Troy Hunt has been in Norway for a bit, so there's nothing new on the haveibeenpwned portal.

Sorry, no help here. Hate me, if you must! :evil grin:

8. Shark5150 macrumors 6502a

Shark5150

Happening to me as well. Wtf?

9. appleman1988 Suspended