Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
I am furious – near apoplectic.

I will echo those others who have pointed to this as obscene, incompetent, unforgiveable, inexcusable – and far from the first time Apple has failed with the cloud.

People are having issues with their lives, people are losing money – all because Apple can't even begin to get it together.

All this while another glorious product dependent on the cloud is unveiled, and they can't be counted on to make the cloud actually work.

Fire people or farm the operation out.

[Feel free to insert foul language of your preference here]

Are you really complaining about a FREE service? You know Gmail has also had it's share of outages right? If you want uptime, pay for it. Don't bitch about a free service. Apple or not. :rolleyes:

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
Are you really complaining about a FREE service? You know Gmail has also had it's share of outages right? If you want uptime, pay for it. Don't bitch about a free service. Apple or not. :rolleyes:

Please tell me when Gmail had a downtime of over 36 hours. No rush, I'll wait here while you go check.

nikto70

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
Is iCloud truly free? I would think the cost of it is rolled up into the premium mac users pay for their products. It's a feature that's supposed to get people to buy more of their stuff, like extra storage and the itunes match thing, and more devices that sync up. I don't think Apple provides the service out of the kindness of their hearts. Same goes for google. It's a marketing tool.

In any case, Apple has proven that it sucks in the mail/cloud department. I'm seriously considering going gmail.

Luis Ortega

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2007
Don't get all over dramatic here. It's just one feature of their iCloud service that's currently down. And it's not down for everyone. I'm patient and rational enough to understand that his kind of stuff happens and will wait for it to be resolved.

That's just the start. Steve Wozniak admitted that the cloud is a disaster waiting to happen, and I agree.
The cloud is going to be a huge pile of crap. It is only suitable for uploading the odd file now and then, not for trying to manage your entire computer apps and files.

anonoutis

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
Gall... in one part, not three

It's more than a little galling to 'hear' Tim Cook cheering on how unique Apple is to have all these wonderful products and how it's particularly wonderful how Apple ties them all together – while the [obscenity] can't get their email to work... yup, that ties it all together so darn well.

rremde

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2005
It's been 36 hours since I've been able to access mail. That's not a crisis, as my iCloud account is only used for personal email (my husband's account has been unaffected). BUT we have been using iCloud to sync calendars, and had this happened for this long a period to iCal services during one of our trade markets it would have been more than an inconvenience. Despite the fact that my husband/business partner is probably the MOST change averse person in the universe, we're moving our calendars to another service today. Service interruptions are inevitable, but 36 hours of downtime is not. I'm not prepared to risk depending on other services being more stable than Mail.
------------------
Update: back up, but no messages are showing up later than 10 pm (the last message I received) Monday.

Last edited:

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
It seems to have successfully did a check for my email now, and I either apparently got no email at all for the past 36 hours, or iCloud sent them all into the abyss.

Leaving me with the obvious, fair and rational question: OMG APPLE WHERE THE **** ARE ALL MY EMAILS!??!?!? ARE YOU ****ING CRAZY?!!??!

LACW

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2009
email outage~~~

this should seriously be on the front page, given similar attention as the iPhone 5 release. Many of the functions mentioned in the keynote today will be integrated through iCloud. if apple can't even address the outage that affected the mere 1.1%, can we expect Apple to address the issue in the future when it affects all of its user in a timely fashion?

E-mail down time for over 30 hours, in this day and age is absurd!!!

gasta

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
running again. a message i just sent to my .mac address from a gmail account took 21 minutes to arrive. But an email I sent from my .mac account to my gmail account only took seconds to be delivered.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Got this from Go-daddy.

Listening apple?

Dear XXXXXX,

We owe you a big apology for the intermittent service outages we experienced on September 10 that may have impacted your website, your email and other Go Daddy services.

We let you down and we know it. We take our responsibilities — and the trust you place in us — very seriously. I cannot express how sorry I am to those of you who were inconvenienced.

The service outage was due to a series of internal network events that corrupted router data tables. Once the issues were identified, we took corrective actions to restore services for our customers and GoDaddy.com. We have implemented a series of immediate measures to fix the problem.

At no time was any sensitive customer information, including credit card data, passwords or names and addresses, compromised.

Throughout our history, we have provided 99.999% uptime in our DNS infrastructure. This is the level of performance we expect from ourselves. Monday, we fell short of these expectations. We have learned from this event and will use it to drive improvement in our services.

As a result of this disruption, your account will be credited for the value of 1-month of service for each of your active/published sites.* This credit will be available to you for the next 7 days. Please click the button below to redeem your credit.

It's an honor to serve you. Thank you for the opportunity to re-earn your business and trust.

As always, please call us 24/7 at 1-480-505-8877 — anytime, for any reason.

Sincerely,

Scott Wagner
CEO
GoDaddy.com

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
Got this from Go-daddy.

Listening apple?

Dear XXXXXX,

We owe you a big apology for the intermittent service outages we experienced on September 10 that may have impacted your website, your email and other Go Daddy services.

We let you down and we know it. We take our responsibilities — and the trust you place in us — very seriously. I cannot express how sorry I am to those of you who were inconvenienced.

The service outage was due to a series of internal network events that corrupted router data tables. Once the issues were identified, we took corrective actions to restore services for our customers and GoDaddy.com. We have implemented a series of immediate measures to fix the problem.

At no time was any sensitive customer information, including credit card data, passwords or names and addresses, compromised.

Throughout our history, we have provided 99.999% uptime in our DNS infrastructure. This is the level of performance we expect from ourselves. Monday, we fell short of these expectations. We have learned from this event and will use it to drive improvement in our services.

As a result of this disruption, your account will be credited for the value of 1-month of service for each of your active/published sites.* This credit will be available to you for the next 7 days. Please click the button below to redeem your credit.

It's an honor to serve you. Thank you for the opportunity to re-earn your business and trust.

As always, please call us 24/7 at 1-480-505-8877 — anytime, for any reason.

Sincerely,

Scott Wagner
CEO
GoDaddy.com

Yes because GoDaddy.com outage had the similar magnitude of an email outage...:rolleyes:

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Yes because GoDaddy.com outage had the similar magnitude of an email outage...:rolleyes:

Are you serious? You wouldn't be so much of a **** if you were losing serious money from this would you. I bet you'd be one of biggest whiners around.

That response from GoDaddy is the sort of thing you should expect. Not the response Apple has given to their customers. Especially after all the hype Apple are making to get people to use their iCrap services.

rosesdahlia

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
Poor Behavior Apple

Well, my mail was finally restored at 16:20 PST on 9/12. My mail service went down on 9/10 at 22:42 PST. No mail for 30 hours can be an expensive proposition.

This is unconscionable behavior by Apple. They were so busy announcing the new IPhone 5 that all of us with no service were ignored! It is bad enough to have the failure. Why should I need to waste my time trying to determine: a)Is there is a system problem rather than my computer?; b) Who is impacted?; and c) When can I expect service to be restored?

All systems occasionally have problems. They are created by humans which are less than perfect beings. The problem with this instance was Apple's failure to properly apprise users of the outage. It took a lot of digging on the Apple site to find the very nondescript blurb about the outage. If you took the time to speak with Apple Technical Support or their Customer Relations, which I did, they could or would not provide any details or an estimated time of restoration.

As a long time Apple user having purchased 4 Macbook Pro laptops, an IMac, Large terminal and IPod Touch I am seriously considering moving away from Mac for my next purchase. I want to deal with a company that cares about the service I receive. Any recommendations?????

Last edited:

lwapps

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2012
The outage of iCloud has been awful and ridiculous. It's such a rare event on most of the services where people don't pay!

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
Are you serious? You wouldn't be so much of a **** if you were losing serious money from this would you. I bet you'd be one of biggest whiners around.

That response from GoDaddy is the sort of thing you should expect. Not the response Apple has given to their customers. Especially after all the hype Apple are making to get people to use their iCrap services.

You know millions of websites with millions of visitors were not working when GoDaddy was out. (I'll do the math for you: 1.000.000 x 1.000.000 = 1.000.000.000.000 hits). I bet you this is an order of magnitude bigger then a few iCloud customers receiving their emails.

Oh and seriously? You have serious money invested in your e-mail exchange and you are using a free service and not your own hardware? Serious?

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Wow, some people gotta stop over reacting.

**** like this happens! It'll be fixed soon. This is the first I've had any problem with the iCloud service. I have a gmail but it's my junk account. iCloud, IMO, is much better so that's why I stick with it.

Some people rely on their email on a daily basis for their household incomes. Outages of any kind are unacceptable. I cannot think of a time Gmail hasn't just worked for me.

Apple still need to step up on their Internet services.

sensorian

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Manchester, UK
Some people rely on their email on a daily basis for their household incomes. Outages of any kind are unacceptable. I cannot think of a time Gmail hasn't just worked for me.

Apple still need to step up on their Internet services.

Whilst you do make a good point, it would be remiss of me not to point out that Gmail was down last year. Only for about 8 hours but nevertheless till unavailable.

Outages include:

Date Outage details Affected users
April 17, 2012 Gmail outage[98] 5.25 million[99]
February 27/28, 2011 Gmail outage. Gmail users after signing in found their Gmail inbox, contact empty.[100] 1.5 million[101]
September 24, 2009 Gmail outage. Gmail accounts were unavailable, users could not access their accounts.[102] Gmail did not mention exact number, in their blog they posted a 'small subset of users' were affected with this outage.[102]
September 1, 2009 Gmail outage[97]
May 14, 2009 Google network outage. For some users Gmail became extremely slow. In some cases, Google services were reported to have completely stopped working.[103]
March 9, 2009 Gmail outage[97]
August 7, 2008 Gmail and Google Apps outage. accounts affected by the 502 error on login.[104]

Last edited:

Adena

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
great information and inspiration, Also like to admire the time and effort you put into your post. I would like to see more posts like this.thanks

----------

great information and inspiration, Also like to admire the time and effort you put into your post. I would like to see more posts like this.thanks

online high school diploma

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.