icloud mail password and apple store

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Capslock118, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Capslock118 macrumors newbie

Nov 3, 2010
    Hi everyone,

I have an apple ID with my gmail account as primary. I have a secondary icloud email address attached to is as well.

I want to use the icloud email address as my primary form of contact and also make it my primary apple id address.

What's stopping me is the password. I am a long passphrase kind of guy, so I expect my email to follow that philosophy. There are exceptions however and one of them is the app store, and for a few reasons:

1) my apple id is shared among the family for itunes/app store purchases and music store (though only i use it for messages/et al)
    2) it's just easier to type in a simple password when it's required to input the password for every app store download.

Can I set my icloud mail address to use a different, more complicated password than the current simple password I have now for my apple id?

as far as I know the only real option I have here is to create a second apple ID but i'm not going to do that because the only reason I would change over is because I want the specific icloud email address I already selected.

thanks everyone.
  2. Capslock118 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 3, 2010
    oh actually, i just tried to delete my icloud.com email address from my alternate email address on my current apple id. That deleted fine, but when I went to build a new apple id with that address it said it was already in use so I associated it with my current ID.

i guess that's off the table too.
  3. Rigby macrumors 601

Aug 5, 2008
    San Jose, CA
    To my knowledge there is no solution. That is one of the big security problems with iCloud: They practically force you to use a simple password since you have to type it so often e.g. when making purchases ...