icloud mail password and apple store

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Capslock118, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Capslock118 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I have an apple ID with my gmail account as primary. I have a secondary icloud email address attached to is as well.

I want to use the icloud email address as my primary form of contact and also make it my primary apple id address.

What's stopping me is the password. I am a long passphrase kind of guy, so I expect my email to follow that philosophy. There are exceptions however and one of them is the app store, and for a few reasons:

1) my apple id is shared among the family for itunes/app store purchases and music store (though only i use it for messages/et al)
    2) it's just easier to type in a simple password when it's required to input the password for every app store download.

Can I set my icloud mail address to use a different, more complicated password than the current simple password I have now for my apple id?

as far as I know the only real option I have here is to create a second apple ID but i'm not going to do that because the only reason I would change over is because I want the specific icloud email address I already selected.

thanks everyone.

2. Capslock118 thread starter macrumors newbie

oh actually, i just tried to delete my icloud.com email address from my alternate email address on my current apple id. That deleted fine, but when I went to build a new apple id with that address it said it was already in use so I associated it with my current ID.

i guess that's off the table too.

3. Rigby macrumors 601

To my knowledge there is no solution. That is one of the big security problems with iCloud: They practically force you to use a simple password since you have to type it so often e.g. when making purchases ...