iCloud Match

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by myname70, Aug 23, 2014.

1. myname70 macrumors 6502a

Guys, is the Match service is still the same on ios 8 - no streaming ? And I need to download the song first?

2. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

Press on the song and it will stream. If you press the cloud, it downloads.

3. Padmini macrumors 6502a

That's never been how it works.

This is how it works.

/thread

4. myname70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

But is it downloaded on the phone (in temporary place) or just streaming (similar to spotify ) ? On my iMac it streams it, no download kept files. But on the iPhone I think it downloaded

5. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

I get what the OP is saying. If you stream music on iTunes Match, it will take up space on your phone until you go to settings > general > usage > manage storage and delete the music.

6. Ballis macrumors 6502a

Isnt the song automatically deleted after its played through?

7. myname70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think in iOs 7 - the files are kept locally. They are not deleted. That us why I am wondering what us iOs 8 behaviour. .

8. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

It's still the same. It stores the song on the device. The more you play the more the capacity of your device reduces.

9. Padmini macrumors 6502a

Continued lack of understanding of what streaming is.

Streaming is not some magical whisper that gets the sound to you and takes no storage on your device.

Streaming = Downloading. How much and for how long is in the programming. iCloud's handling of this is far superior to Spotofly or other lame streaming services (all of which are also downloading the music, but not allowing you to actually benefit from it).

-if you tap the cloud logo it is downloaded permanently and will not be deleted unless done by the user, manually.

-if you simply play, or "stream" the track, instead of clogging up RAM like other services might, the flash storage is used to cache the file, with a complex series of rules and restrictions. The user experience is that you are able to quickly stream that track again if you choose, and the file will exist and be instantly playable as long as other storage needs do not exceed it in priority. Translation: if you need that precious storage space that a streamed song is taking up, the steamed song is automatically deleted to make room. These tracks are taking up space but never reporting it to other aspects of the OS, so you are always able to use that space and reclaim without even knowing about it.

This is far superior any other kind of "streaming" that require you to use data repeatedly for every single stream of the same file, even seconds apart, as well as wait through buffering, when it is completely unnecessary.

----------

You were the only one close. Auto delete after play isn't the greatest benefit to the user. Auto delete whenever necessary as defined by a multitude of criteria, is.

10. Wrong Turn macrumors member

It is the same.
    When connected to wifi it works like Spotify, on cellular it must be downloaded.

11. daijholt macrumors 6502a

daijholt

Well this is a barnstormer of an answer. Nail on the head. Nice work.

12. myname70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Another issue -- i put several Albums in the iTunes Match and deleted them from my iMac. All fine. They had good Artwork pictures etc. But, after I log off from the iTunes and log in again -- i had to switch on the Match again and it showed the albums but with NO artworks!! If click Get Artwork -- nothing happens. Any idea how to keep Artworks on iTunes Match?

13. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

My issue with Spotify is having to delete/install the app every few weeks because of all the cached music files that were streamed. iFunBox works too but when is Apple gonna provide a facility to delete per-App cached files on the device?

14. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Whilst I do agree with you on a whole, we users don't know the limit the device gets to before the cached songs are deleted. I have generally only 1.5 GB free on my phone before I play any songs through iTunes Match. I only have to play 4 albums and I get a warning that the capacity of my device is low. We should be able to set this imaginary limit, because none of my devices delete the songs when the storage is low. Perhaps it would be better to be able to set it to, for example, 2GB or 1GB. Apple don't state this amount and the service does not work as well as it could for storage management.

15. bushido Suspended

bushido

thats what drives me nuts on iOS. you can access the app details and see how much space it takes up but you cannot delete the app data without deleting and reinstalling the app. so annoying