Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daleycss

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
I know most of you think this is about Apple ID's etc. etc. but its not. I have two accounts for me and my wife on our iMac. So we have a login screen to choose who wants to login. When iOS 5 and iCloud come out, will iCloud sync the contacts, calendar, etc. in my account if I am not logged in???

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
I know most of you think this is about Apple ID's etc. etc. but its not. I have two accounts for me and my wife on our iMac. So we have a login screen to choose who wants to login. When iOS 5 and iCloud come out, will iCloud sync the contacts, calendar, etc. in my account if I am not logged in???

it will update your account on your mac when you login.

daleycss

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
ok. but if i have all my contacts and everything on my mac, and nothing on my iphone, set both up for icloud, and my account isn't logged in, it won't sync??

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
ok. but if i have all my contacts and everything on my mac, and nothing on my iphone, set both up for icloud, and my account isn't logged in, it won't sync??

if you have set up your mac on iCloud before setting it up on the phone which has no contacts, then it will sync as it will be in the Cloud, same as if you do it the other way round. Any changes you make on the phone whilst the mac is not logged in will go to the cloud and then when you log in, it will update the mac. Basically not being logged in on the mac is like it not being turned on.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina

If you're not logged in, you don't need the iCloud service at that particular moment in time. As soon as you log in, it will update.

**Edit**
Just read your statement again. If you update your contacts on you Mac and set iCloud up on it. All your contacts go to the Cloud. You could then set your computer on fire, bash it with a sledge hammer, and throw it in the trash.

As soon as you set up iCloud on your iPhone, all those contacts in the Cloud will be downloaded onto the iPhone (regardless of the state of your computer).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.