iCloud Music Library deletes all your music files?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by yalag, Jul 11, 2015.

1. yalag macrumors 65816

I read this comment from another website regarding turning on iCloud Music Library:

Your original files will remain untouched. Only if a song can be found in the Apple Music Libary and you download it on another device, the downloaded file will be DRMd.
    If a song cannot be found in the Apple Music Libary a copy of it will be uploaded to iCloud and if you download it, the downloaded file will be DRM-free.

So as long as you don't delete the original files, everything will be fine, also after you have cancelled the membership.

(And yes, I tested it myself.)
    (Thrice.)
    (With three different songs.)
    I'm really worried about my original music library. Can someone please confirm if this behaviour is true? I'm really worried what happens once day, if I cancel Apple Music. ​

2. graley macrumors regular

I cannot answer your question, but I do know that switching that on scrambled my play lists.
    I now have a Rachmaninoff track embedded into a Biz Scaggs playlist. Etc etc. very annoying.
    I turned it off but there was no recovery. I spent half hour with Apple. No solution.

3. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

The only time I have ever seen IML delete files is when enabling IML on a phone or iDevice that have music synced to it locally and it finds ineligible songs. (On iPhone/iPad ineligible songs get deleted for some reason instead of just not showing up for other devices in IML.)

This does not happen from iTunes though. (Ineligible songs just get a cloud icon with a line through it.)