Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sevenseconds

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2013
I have a 98k song library that, after about five days of uploading, has been fully verified as up on Apple Music! The problem is when I simply delete an Apple Music playlist or song on my iPhone, it doesn't delete on my iPad. Both are using iCloud music library.

Can anyone verify if they also experience this behavior? The playlist I was using was Nicolas Jarr: Influences fwiw.

I'm wondering if one has to be a) on wifi b) plugged into power for BOTH devices until they sync to the master iCloud music library?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
It is possible with such a large library that iTunes is still processing it on the back end and is still not fully implemented.

Jatheon

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2015
U.S
That's serious number of songs. Probably is what Julien said, 98k should be processed, and it need time.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
That's serious number of songs. Probably is what Julien said, 98k should be processed, and it need time.
Yes, people get carried away with 'collecting' unless and pointless amounts of 'stuff'. If you spent a full 16 hours a day/365 days a year listening it would be about 2 years before you could hear your favorite song agin. :eek:

Reactions: whsbuss

sevenseconds

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2013
Yes, people get carried away with 'collecting' unless and pointless amounts of 'stuff'. If you spent a full 16 hours a day/365 days a year listening it would be about 2 years before you could hear your favorite song agin. :eek:

I'm not an aimless collector, I'm a music critic and my library is my reference. I have listened to every track in my library and decided it was worth keeping.

Thank you Julien, I had considered that but it seems like odd behavior that to delete a single playlist, especially, an Apple Music one, would incur an entire rescan of the library. If you have a 100,00+ photo library and edit a single photo, should you expect the changes to only percolate after 24hrs?

I left my iPad plugged in overnight, connected to wifi, and it deleted the Apple Music playlist. My question was about syncing behavior - essentially, there are times when the library stays synced and times it does not. I'm trying to figure out if there is any rhyme or reason about when and why this is. Does it have to be plugged in to power, does it have to be on wifi, etc. If anyone could confirm this behavior, I would appreciate it.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I'm not an aimless collector, I'm a music critic and my library is my reference. I have listened to every track in my library and decided it was worth keeping.

Thank you Julien, I had considered that but it seems like odd behavior that to delete a single playlist, especially, an Apple Music one, would incur an entire rescan of the library. If you have a 100,00+ photo library and edit a single photo, should you expect the changes to only percolate after 24hrs?

I left my iPad plugged in overnight, connected to wifi, and it deleted the Apple Music playlist. My question was about syncing behavior - essentially, there are times when the library stays synced and times it does not. I'm trying to figure out if there is any rhyme or reason about when and why this is. Does it have to be plugged in to power, does it have to be on wifi, etc. If anyone could confirm this behavior, I would appreciate it.
Did NOT say aimless.;)

Changes will/do happen almost instantly and it is a lot like making changes to a photo or a Word/Numbers/Keynote/Notes document.

Again you need to give Apple's back end servers more time to process your Library. Even though it is uploaded it is still likely being processed on the servers and this could take many hours or a couple of days.

Also make sure you have iCloud Music Library enabled on your iPad (all iDevices).

sevenseconds

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2013
Cool, I know I have to be patient. Just wanted to see if anyone could tell me their experience of syncing between devices.
More context: My library was successfully uploaded for a week before this happened. I had to take a flight yesterday and wanted to get as much of my music properly sorted before I went without wifi for a couple weeks. Looks like no one else has experienced the problem of editing their library on one device and it not quickly reflecting on their other devices? Guess I'm alone on this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.