Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ticket Eagle

macrumors member
May 15, 2009
I've updated to the latest iTunes and see the AM box (which is checked) but no box for ICML. I have all of the AM tabs, but just have chosen so far to not activate while I get clarification on whether I should see the ICML box or not and, if not, whether the default is disabled. For some reason, I was assuming that it was enabled, so I was approaching the problem backwards by trying to figure out why I wasn't seeing the option to disable ICML. I think that HopefulHumanist is correct that I shouldn't be seeing the ICML box until I activate Appel Music. If that's true, my real question is whether ICML is enabled or disabled by default. By running a google search from that perspective, it seems the answer is that it is disabled by default, but I certainly wouldn't mind someone verifying that here.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I've updated to the latest iTunes and see the AM box (which is checked) but no box for ICML. I have all of the AM tabs, but just have chosen so far to not activate while I get clarification on whether I should see the ICML box or not and, if not, whether the default is disabled. For some reason, I was assuming that it was enabled, so I was approaching the problem backwards by trying to figure out why I wasn't seeing the option to disable ICML. I think that HopefulHumanist is correct that I shouldn't be seeing the ICML box until I activate Appel Music. If that's true, my real question is whether ICML is enabled or disabled by default. By running a google search from that perspective, it seems the answer is that it is disabled by default, but I certainly wouldn't mind someone verifying that here.
iTunes: Preferences: General Preferences. You must have iCML enabled in order to fully utilize :apple:Music. Without iCML you can only listen to an :apple:Music track or curated Playlist on you Mac. You can't make Playlists or sync to iDevices without it.

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-12%20at%209.20.03%20AM_zpsnbe5zn9g.jpg

Ticket Eagle

macrumors member
May 15, 2009
Thanks, but if fully utilizing Apple Music includes the issues I've seen, I'll take the watered down version or nothing at all. I appreciate the response and the fact that I'll be missing features, but I only have the "Show Apple Music" checkbox available and am simply trying to find out whether by activating Apple Music, ICML will be automatically enabled or whether the option will appear but the box blessedly unchecked.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Thanks, but if fully utilizing Apple Music includes the issues I've seen, I'll take the watered down version or nothing at all. I appreciate the response and the fact that I'll be missing features, but I only have the "Show Apple Music" checkbox available and am simply trying to find out whether by activating Apple Music, ICML will be automatically enabled or whether the option will appear but the box blessedly unchecked.
You can use :apple:Music without enabling iCML but you can only click on an :apple:Music track and listen. You will not have any management abilities.

Ticket Eagle

macrumors member
May 15, 2009
But the default when first activating Apple Music is disabled? Put another way, I have to take the additional steps of going to preferences, general tab, checkbox in order to proactively turn on ICML as an additional feature of Apple Music?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
But the default when first activating Apple Music is disabled? Put another way, I have to take the additional steps of going to preferences, general tab, checkbox in order to proactively turn on ICML as an additional feature of Apple Music?
No, if you turn on :apple:Music the default would be with iCML enabled also. There is very little point in having :apple:Music without iCML enabled. If iCML were disabled by default<98% of the millions of users would be totally lost on what to do to get tracks onto a Playlist or iDevice. Remember most people don't read these forums or care about technicalities. They just want it to work when they cut it on.

Ticket Eagle

macrumors member
May 15, 2009
I was hoping that maybe I would be prompted during the setup process. I don't consider the issues I'm hearing about technicalities, but I get what you're saying. I don't think the uninformed 98% will think of it as a trivial technicality when many of them choose to not continue with the service and wonder what happened to some of their files, but hopefully the issues are resolved by then.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I was hoping that maybe I would be prompted during the setup process. I don't consider the issues I'm hearing about technicalities, but I get what you're saying. I don't think the uninformed 98% will think of it as a trivial technicality when many of them choose to not continue with the service and wonder what happened to some of their files, but hopefully the issues are resolved by then.
Have you had any issues are or you just going by what you read? Have you even tried :apple:Music yet to see? This is a forum and almost you get is 'squeaky wheels'. Also the problems we are having are mostly related to 'power users' with large complex and diversely aggregated libraries and even that is going to be a small percentage of users. I myself had 'huge' problems at first but found a 100% sure way to fix it. I posted the fix in this thread.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/fix-possible-apple-music-icloud-music-metadata.1901061/

Ticket Eagle

macrumors member
May 15, 2009
Totally going by what I hear. If I'd tried it, I'd know if ICML was disabled at startup :) Unfortunately, I've heard enough to give me some concerns. I had seen your post, although while having a dialogue with you in this thread I did not realize that it was your solution that I had seen. I'm simply not interested in taking those kinds of steps (small as they may seem to you) just to try out a new streaming service. There are certainly aspects of Apple Music that at least peak my interest and if I'm comfortable that I can disable ICML in a quick enough manner to not worry about some of the issues discussed in these forums and all over the web, I'll stick my toe in the water. Otherwise, I'll wait on the sidelines while the issues get worked out. Thank you for taking the time to offer so much feedback.

Liam Steven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, you just have to make sure it's in "song view" and not "playlist view"
I'm sorry, I don't fully understand.

If select song view it arranges them alphabetically. I need them arranged by date added which isn't an option from iPad/iPhone.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
That looks like iTunes. I need the music ordered on iPad/iPhone. Can you advise if setting the order in iTunes will affect iPad and iPhone?
Yes, you set or change order in iTunes and it populates to the iDevice Playlist.
I'm sorry, I don't fully understand.

If select song view it arranges them alphabetically. I need them arranged by date added which isn't an option from iPad/iPhone.
iTunes has a 'new' default view mode for Playlists called 'Playlist'. It looks more like iOS and shows limited fields. You just need to switch to 'Songs' view so you can add/see fields like Date Added.

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-30%20at%2010.16.25%20AM_zpsyzrdtbsq.jpg

Reactions: HopefulHumanist

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
That is incorrect. With Apple Music, you can still add your personal collection. The difference is that it will add DRM to any files you download from the service. So say, you remove your original files and redownload from the cloud, you will receive DRM'd versions. That's the only reason to keep paying for iTunes Match (iCloud Music Library without Apple Music) -- to keep your personal collection DRM free.
You can also just not delete your originals. I don't understand why people would make the cloud the only storage location of some of their data. Cloud storage is alway significantly more expensive and at a higher risk of data loss.

HopefulHumanist

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2015
You can also just not delete your originals. I don't understand why people would make the cloud the only storage location of some of their data. Cloud storage is alway significantly more expensive and at a higher risk of data loss.
You're not saying anything I didn't or disagree with... I specifically said it'd only be a problem if you remove your original files...

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
You're not saying anything I didn't or disagree with... I specifically said it'd only be a problem if you remove your original files...
But since nobody in his or her right mind would remove their original files, this is not really a problem. My point being that if people behave irrationally, a lot of things can go wrong that rational people did not expect.

HopefulHumanist

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2015
But since nobody in his or her right mind would remove their original files, this is not really a problem. My point being that if people behave irrationally, a lot of things can go wrong that rational people did not expect.
Says you. There were already reports of people doing such because they wanted to upgrade their music files to iTunes quality. That already happened.

You added nothing constructive to the conversation.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Says you. There were already reports of people doing such because they wanted to upgrade their music files to iTunes quality. That already happened.
Not by design, if you had upgraded songs and downloaded the upgraded songs, iTunes shouldn't download them again but with added DRM.

You added nothing constructive to the conversation.
Pointing out the non-constructive part is not something constructive?

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
You two have gone off the rails a bit :) HH corrected someone who incorrectly said that iTunes Match was needed to stream. It isn't, Apple Music will do that. And it's not just about deleting songs. I may have two computers and prefer to use iTunes Match as my way of getting non-DRM files on both machines. I think you two are not really disagreeing :)

One other side point for clarity: iCloud Music Library is the platform that *both* Apple Music and iTunes Match depend upon.

Not by design, if you had upgraded songs and downloaded the upgraded songs, iTunes shouldn't download them again but with added DRM.

Pointing out the non-constructive part is not something constructive?

HopefulHumanist

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2015
Not by design, if you had upgraded songs and downloaded the upgraded songs, iTunes shouldn't download them again but with added DRM.Pointing out the non-constructive part is not something constructive?
That's only true if you have iTunes match, dude. What don't you understand?

If you only subscribe to Apple Music and delete your originals, it will replace them with DRM versions. Fact. When they released the last update, they added a warning if you attempt your originals. That wasn't present in the initial release.

I don't even know why I'm bothering to explain this but read the damn document Apple posted here https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204962

Using Apple Music said:
When Apple Music adds these matched songs to your iCloud Music Library, Apple Music doesn’t change or alter your original music files that reside in iTunes for Mac or PC or on your iOS devices from which they were added. We make these matched songs available to your other computers or devices in high quality 256 Kbps AAC, and they can be played on them only while your Apple Music membership is active.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL

If you only subscribe to Apple Music and delete your originals, it will replace them with DRM versions. Fact. When they released the last update, they added a warning if you attempt your originals. That wasn't present in the initial release.

I don't even know why I'm bothering to explain this but read the damn document Apple posted here https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204962

Your posts have been very helpful in clarifying the differences between Match and AM--and your link provides the perfect backup source so I finally feel confident I can get rid of Match and continue to listen to all of my music the way I do now. ;)

Reactions: HopefulHumanist

Liam Steven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
Yes, you set or change order in iTunes and it populates to the iDevice Playlist.

iTunes has a 'new' default view mode for Playlists called 'Playlist'. It looks more like iOS and shows limited fields. You just need to switch to 'Songs' view so you can add/see fields like Date Added.

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-30%20at%2010.16.25%20AM_zpsyzrdtbsq.jpg

I don't use playlists. I simply want to arrange the tracks in the "Library" section of Apple Music on my iPhone.

I tested with a playlist and when I added new music the songs went to the bottom so the oldest is always at the top.

In my Spotify I use the "songs" section and as I 'save' music it is automatically added to the top of "songs" and available offline. The most recent music tracks are always shown at the top.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I don't use playlists. I simply want to arrange the tracks in the "Library" section of Apple Music on my iPhone.

I tested with a playlist and when I added new music the songs went to the bottom so the oldest is always at the top....
You can change the Music (Library) view the same as a Playlist

Reverse the sort order (little arrow pointing down).
Screen%20Shot%202015-07-30%20at%201.02.20%20PM_zpsnsimtun8.jpg

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
But you were talking about upgraded songs and thus about iTunes Match. Once iTunes Match has downloaded those upgraded songs, you can stop subscribing to iTunes Match and the upgraded songs remain yours. Are you telling me that iCML is replacing those upgraded songs that originate from an earlier iTunes Match subscription with DRM-ed versions?

If you only subscribe to Apple Music and delete your originals, it will replace them with DRM versions. Fact.
We are turning in circles. There is no reason to delete your original songs if you subscribe to Apple Music (there is a reason with iTunes Match for songs that iTunes Match upgrades to a higher quality). Thus you would never delete your original songs in the first place when using Apple Music.

From the first paragraph: "Apple Music and iTunes Match are not backup services for your original music library. Be sure to back up your music library so that you have a copy of your music and other information if your Mac or PC is ever replaced, lost, or damaged."

Why is it Apple's fault when people delete their data without having a backup?

Liam Steven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
You can change the Music (Library) view the same as a Playlist

Reverse the sort order (little arrow pointing down).
Screen%20Shot%202015-07-30%20at%201.02.20%20PM_zpsnsimtun8.jpg

I went into iTunes (on a Mac) and arranged by date order but they are still showing in alphabetical order on my iPhone...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.