iCloud not backing up automatically

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by sunking101, Apr 15, 2015.

1. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

iCloud backups haven't been happening automatically ever since I got my 6+.
    They complete just fine when I manually select to backup but nothing happens automatically. With previous iPhones this was never a problem, and no iOS8 update has cured it.

I've deleted my iCloud account and reinstalled it numerous times but still nothing improves. Admittedly this isn't a major issue but is anyone else experiencing the same problem? I left my phone charging for four hours and still the last backup was my manual one from a week ago. #

2. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

3. john991 macrumors 6502a

My 6 + doesn't backup automatically either. And when I do a manual backup sometimes it takes for ever and other times it fails.

I did a soft reset, reset network settings same issue. :mad:

4. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

Strange isn't it! My backups take forever too. On my i5 and i4 a small daily backup completed in a minute or two, but even if I do a manual backup two days consecutively the second one still takes a good 10 minutes.

5. rstark18 macrumors 6502a

Try deleting the existing backup on the server.
    Settings> iCloud> Storage> Manage Storage> Backups (this phone)> Delete bcakup (at the bottom).

6. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

That's my next step really, but as my backup is 8GB+ it will take the best part of 24 hours to restore it again with my broadband upload speed...#

7. rstark18 macrumors 6502a

You could reduce the backup size dramatically by turning off the backup of Photo Library (and other items that are huge). If you are worried about actually needing the full backup while doing some of this troubleshooting then just do a manual backup in iTunes. I bet that's what taking up most of your backup space. Personally I never use the backup function to backup photos (I always have it turned off) because I have all my photos/videos backed up through other means.

8. TL24 macrumors 6502a

TL24

9. rstark18 macrumors 6502a

FYI
    I figured it out.
    The syncing program creates a temp file with a different name that is used to make sure the file gets copied successfully. It seems as though iCloud is seeing the temp file and rejecting it.

10. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

So what's the solution then?

11. rstark18 macrumors 6502a

With that particular program (syncback) you can turn off the safe copy feature and it will not create the temp files. The uploads activate successfully when that is done.

12. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

My uploads always complete successfully, it's just that my phone picks & chooses when it automatically does a backup. Yesterday it did one, but more often than not it waits a fortnight!

13. rstark18 macrumors 6502a

Sorry I just realized I was responding to the wrong thread. Ignore the post about syncback.

As far as this thread is concerned. Did you try deleting your current backup and starting fresh? That had worked for me previously.

14. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

No, not yet. It's a big 8GB backup and my home broadband has a 1Mbps upload speed. It will take forever!

15. rstark18 macrumors 6502a

What about the suggestion to not back up photos so that it reduces your backup size. You could add photos to the backup in a future backup when you know it's working correctly. Also. You could do the photos portion of the backup when at a friends that has a faster internet connection or at a wifi hotspot (I personally never use them because of security though)

16. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

Yeah, I could do that. I'm ok doing a manual backup though, it's annoying but not a great problem. I'll erase my backup and start again at some time in the future when it's more convenient.