Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
Clean install - ZERO iCloud files

Got my new M1 Mac. Did everything by the book. Separate icloud and iTunes accounts.

No files have showed up.

Waited to download all my iCloud photos.

Signed out. Restart. Signed in again.

Still no files.

Any good ideas how to proceed ?

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Depending on how many photos you have, it can take days. How many photos and how long did you wait?

Last edited:

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
So not quite by the book (which book?). It is usual to use just one account for all Apple interaction. Try with just one account.

Have a very old iTunes accounts. Unfortunately Apple doesn’t have a solution to merge the two

Reactions: artfossil

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
All photos downloaded in 2 days
Oh I see, the issue isn't downloading your photos; it's that you don't see any iCloud Drive folders and files? Can you see them on another device and are you using the same Apple ID? I know these are basic questions, but it's good to know the details.

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
Oh I see, the issue isn't downloading your photos; it's that you don't see any iCloud Drive folders and files? Can you see them on another device and are you using the same Apple ID? I know these are basic questions, but it's good to know the details.

Yep. Have my MacBook and my iOS devices. Have tons of work files. Can’t get them to download to the Mac Mini

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Are you using iCloud Drive Desktop & Document Folders on your other devices, and is that enabled on your new Mini? Can you see iCloud Drive in your Finder sidebar?

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
Thanks

There’s a couple of people in the same boat. Apple has had issues with iCloud sync since Catalina.

It’s certainly something on their back end.

Same M1 Mac Mini has 3 users. My wife’s iCloud is syncing correctly. Go figure

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
Had to use support 3 times.

Final try they said to reinstall big sur. Luckily it doesn’t erase settings/users. But no go.

So I signed out of iCloud, created another new user and rebooted in safe mode.

Then I signed in to the new user, went through settings, register my iCloud sign in (not using my separate iTunes account). Waited 15 minutes and started to see files being downloaded to iCloud drive

Definitely something is broken in the installation procedures and once broken only with a nuke bomb (ie start all over). No way to fix it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.