iCloud photo library activation problem

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by iachia, Oct 21, 2014.

1. iachia macrumors newbie

Hello, I updated my iphone 6 to iOS 8.1 and was trying to activate the iCloud photo library (beta) but I have a problem.
    When I turn on the option a popup says that the sync will start when the device restore from iCloud will be finished.
    Obviously I'm not doing any restore from iCloud at this time. I restored from an iCloud backup a month ago when I purchased the new phone and everything seems to be perfectly fine: I have all my apps, photos, contacts, etc.

One thing I noticed is in my photos app there's a spinning wheel saying the photos are syncing (see screenshot) but that's not true: all the photos are there and there're no unfinished downloads.
    I also tried to erase the phone and restore a backup from itunes but it didn't solve the problem.

Does anyone have the same problem? Is there a solution?

Attached Files:

2. BrettDS macrumors 65816

Are you sure the iCloud restore ever finished? Occasionally restores will get stuck and continue restoring indefinitely. Try to go to Settings | iCloud | Backup and see if it thinks it's still restoring. If it gives you the option to "Back Up Now" then the restore is definitely complete. If it thinks it's still restoring it will say so and give you a button to stop the restore. As long as you're happy that you got everything back, then it's safe to stop the restore.

If it doesn't look like a backup is still running, then maybe try to restart your device.

3. iachia thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, thanks for your help. The restore is definitely completed as the backup now button is active and I can make iCloud backups (and have been making them in the last month).
    I already tried to restart the device (even did a soft reset) but nothing changed.
    Today I restored again the phone from an itunes backup but the problem is still there...