iCloud Photo Library and My Photo Stream

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Kuroz, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Kuroz macrumors member

So if you enable iCLoud Photo Library does that make photo stream useless and I can disable it?

2. big samm macrumors 65816

3. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Seems like that should be the case. It's almost as if Apple didn't want to disrupt users already accustomed to photostream, so they just left it in there even though it's pretty much redundant now.

4. cschmelz macrumors 6502

Well it isn't redundant for getting photos back to iPhoto/Aperature on the Mac....

I'm sure there will be a unified setup soon that includes Mac photo apps but for right now they need to keep Photostream running to maintain the iOS/MacOS link for photos.

5. TC03 macrumors 65816

It's so confusing I think people should start stalking Apple Stores with these questions. I bet they can't answer it either, forcing them to place a direct call to Tim.

6. sheppy1 macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

Yeah the people at Apple don't seem to know how it all works either. I was on a support call to multiple "Senior Engineers" regarding issues I am having with it and the bets they could do was explain how it "should" be working and said that the way I am using is appears to be correct for now until Apple launch an app/site to allow us to view out iCloud photos on our PCs.

The way I use it is as follows:

Firstly I have the iCloud Photo Beta option enabled which allows me to take pictures on my iPhone or iPad which then appear on each of the two devices (not my laptop though). This uses the space I have paid for on my iCloud accounts.

In order to get photos into albums across my laptop, iPad and iPhone, I simply use the "Shared Albums" option within the iCloud Windows App. This allows me to store photos in albums which then appear on ALL my devices. This DOESN'T use the space I pay for in my iCloud account.

Finally, to get photos I take on either my iPad or iPhone to appear on my laptop, I just have the photostream option enabled on my phone which adds them to a shared folder on my laptop. This DOESN'T use space in my iCloud account but the fact I have the iCloud Photo Beta option enabled to get the photos onto my iPad or iPhone (depends which device I took the photos on) does use space in my iCloud account....Seeeee SIMPLE :p haha

7. tosbsas macrumors 6502

tosbsas

Yes that sounds about right :)-). Even better. If u put the pictures into one of those shared albums they stay on your devices and laptop although u delete them from iCloud Drive

8. sheppy1 macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

Yeah I noticed that :) So yeah seems like this is the way to use it for now! Anyone know if I was encounter any issues such as limits on how long the photos will stay in the photo stream or has this been lifted now?