iCloud Photo Library ate all my cloud storage.

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by DoctorKrabs, Jun 18, 2014.

1. DoctorKrabs, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014

DoctorKrabs macrumors 6502a

DoctorKrabs

I had iCloud Photo Library enabled on my iPhone, with a camera roll of 1.5 GB. I have a backup that is 2.2 GB, which includes the camera roll. I don't understand why it has redundancy like this.

I wanted to disable iCloud Photo Library to regain some space, but none of the space was recovered on iCloud. I have a 2.2 GB backup but only 1.1 GB free on iCloud with a 5 GB plan. A ton of this space is being taken by a non-functioning photo library.

I try to re-enable the iCloud photo syncing but then it tells me there's not enough space.

Now I'm stuck without photo syncing and I have lost more that a gig of iCloud space. Anyone else have this problem? Solutions?

I did see that Beta 2's release notes say "The ability to automatically optimize device space is not enabled in this beta", but that doesn't seem to mean anything for my iCloud storage.

2. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

I had the same issue. My iCloud library was not at all working on Beta 2. I had to restore to beta 1, setup as new device and enable iCloud library and then delete everything in it manually. Then I restored my backup.

3. DoctorKrabs thread starter macrumors 6502a

DoctorKrabs

I guess I'll just wait two weeks and hope they fix it in beta 3, because I just restored today and won't be doing that again.

4. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

It shouldn't take long to update to beta 1, delete photos then restore your 7.1 backup

5. AbSoluTc macrumors 601

AbSoluTc

Shouldn't be an issue if you're a developer. All developers get a 50GB increase in addition to what they already have. I have 65GB.

6. Bacong macrumors 68020

Bacong

you can't go in and manually delete the photos from your iCloud settings on your phone?

7. xlost6 macrumors 6502

8. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

Only if your iCloud email is the same as your developer account email :(

9. HarryT macrumors 6502

HarryT

Anyway around this?

10. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Yeah, that kind of sucks. I'm not sure why my dev account isn't my main AppleID, but in any case, it isn't. :(

11. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Yeah, don't use a BETA as a daily driver, and don't try to use new features and complain when they don't work perfectly yet.

12. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil

Even with 20 gb space, it'll fill up really quickly. I don't see how this will actually work in the long run unless videos get excluded.

13. dsdevries macrumors member

I had the same problem. I called appleCare. The told me I should go to:
    http://developer.icloud.com/ and log in. Your account will be automatically upgraded to 50gb of storage.

I then filed a bug report about the issue that you can't delete the data from iCloud. It will probably be fixed before they go live.

I also think that they should automatically remove photos and videos from your iCloud backup once you have iCloud photos enabled. So I also filed an Improvement for that too. I can't imagine Apple to go live without it.

14. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

You'll have to pay for more icloud storage I guess.

15. dsdevries macrumors member

Most iPhones/iPads out there are 16gb models and even most of the 32gb ones don't hold over 20gbs of photos and videos. So once photos and videos are subtracted from you backups I don't see how storage will become a problem with a 20gb subscription.

16. AbSoluTc macrumors 601

AbSoluTc

My Dev and iCloud login is a Gmail address. This was before I had a me/iCloud account. So my Gmail address and iCloud address are linked. I can use either one to login to iCloud/Dev account.

See if you can link a non Apple ID email (one that hasn't been used for an Apple ID setup) with your current Apple ID. This can be done. You just need to login to the Apple ID portal and link a secondary email. If it is another Apple ID, not sure what to tell you because you can't link them which is stupid.

17. paulcdb macrumors regular

18. cschmelz macrumors 6502

Doesn't work for me to get more space. I already pay $100/yr for a 50gib plan and using my iOS dev center login (also my usual iCloud email) doesn't get me any more storage even at the link above....

EDIT: Tried it a second time and it worked! Thank you!

19. DoctorKrabs thread starter macrumors 6502a

DoctorKrabs

How would the issue have been found if nobody out there tested them, Mr. "It's just a beta"?
    I was not complaining about it, I was stating the issue and asking if others had the same issue. I don't need your attitude.

In fact, I already fixed it by doing what Stuke00 suggested. I got the solution I was looking for.

Yeah, don't tell me what I should do with my phone. I know I put a beta on it.

20. HowEver macrumors 6502a

HowEver

21. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil

Yes, I have a 16gb phone. When my phone racks up 3GB in photo/video, I have to delete them. I empty my camera roll at least once a month (more if I take 5-6 videos). Do you see how 5gb or even paying for 20gb is not enough?