iCloud Photo Library (beta) Access

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by rstark18, Sep 26, 2014.

1. rstark18 macrumors 6502a

I just noticed I have access to iCloud Photo Library (beta) on my iPhone which I did not have access to a few days ago. I'm not sure if this is because of the update to 8.0.2 or not.
    Regardless, I turned it on and it is now presumably working. My question is how do I access the web portal to this? I don't see a folder on my iCloud Drive within iCloud.com.

2. bizzy045 macrumors 6502

bizzy045

They are working to add it to icloud.com. shouldn't be too much longer. for now it just syncs across all your iOS devices. Works well so far IMO.

3. skyperbon macrumors regular

4. rstark18 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I would have thought it would be there but it's not.
    I was hoping the beta would allow access to a web interface.

5. rstark18, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014

rstark18 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iCloud Photo Library (beta) Access

Does anyone know if it uploads over cellular or only on wifi. If it uses cell it sure will be a shocker to someone that shoots a bunch of video and hit's their data limit right away.

6. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

Does it require a larger storage option to start working? This was a huge feature I was excited for but it never really showed up. I still don't have the setting, and both my Retina Mini and iPod are running 8.0.2. Hope to get this up and running by the time a get my iPhone 6 later in October.

7. rstark18 thread starter macrumors 6502a

No it works with the free 5gb. Not sure why some people are seeing it and some aren't after upgrading to 8.0.2

8. epphllps macrumors 6502

I'm definitely not seeing it and I'm on 8.0.2. I'm not upgrading to iCloud Drive if that has anything to do with it bc I have an iPad that's jailbroken on 7.1.2 and I don't want to ruin any of the iCloud syncing between my phone and the iPad.

On that note, if I updated to drive it would stop any games and other apps from syncing between the devices, correct?

9. Apple blogger macrumors 6502a

EVen I can see it!!! It's Definately 8.0.2 only

10. rstark18 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay that's why you're not seeing it. You have to have iCloud Drive enabled.

11. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

Not sure what my conflict is. I have iCloud Drive enabled, all my devices are on 8.0.2. Out of my 5GB for iCloud, I still have 4.4GB left, so I am pretty sure lack of iCloud storage isn't a problem.

12. Mslittlebookowl macrumors member

Me too! I have iCloud Drive enabled too but I don't see the option.

13. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

It will upload over cellular by default, but you can turn off cellular data for photos to force it to use wifi only.

14. rstark18 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm calling it now. This is going to create a lot of complaints with overage charges.
    The default for the Photo Library should be wifi by default. Video upload and download is going to suck up data really fast.

15. justinwebb macrumors regular

same here, just updated to 8.0.2 and dont have the option and have iCloud drive enabled. Maybe its only letting so many people in at a time and they disabled it?

16. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

I enabled it and now that I go back into the setting it is gone. The default cellular option scares me.

17. Fantasigraphic macrumors 65816

i had it enabled; then phone died and got it charged back up and noticed its now gone ha ha

18. r-m macrumors 6502a

Isn't it a bug that it's displaying for anyone other than developers?

I don't have iCloud Drive enabled, but I do see iCloud Photo Library (beta). I'm a registered developer.

19. MacFinnley macrumors 6502

MacFinnley

I have 8.0.2 but I don't have iCloud Drive enabled and despite that I'm seeing iCloud photo Library Beta in the options.

20. rstark18 thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is strange. I decided that Photo Library wasn't what I want yet so I turned it off.

Originally when I turned it on it gave me the warning that it would erase the pics that were on my phone. Not a problem. I had a folder of pics synced from iTune and that got removed also.

Now that it is off my phone isn't recognizing the photo sync folder from iTunes. Iv'e tried everything (hard reboot, unsync folder/resync folder). Anyone know how I can get it to sync photos again with iTunes?

21. rstark18 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Never mind. After messing with it I found that if I added a photo to the target folder it would then initiate a proper sync.

22. hattonna928 macrumors regular

Mines been really weird... I had a backup that was like 2.5 gb with my 1.7 gb ofpictures backed up. I turned on iCloud photos and selected the option for optimizing storage (where it only stores full versions in iCloud and smaller ones on your device). Here is where it got weird, my iCloud backup size (current not the next one) dropped down to around 700 MB. The size of my next backup increased by almost 2 gb to 4.4. My phone now shows a 2.3 gb amount of pictures stored on the phone, and iCloud nackup shows there are 3.3 gb of pictures to be backed up.

Also, about 10 minutes after I turned iCloud photos on, the option to turn it on and off disappeared from the photos tab under iCloud and it went back to the way it was with iOS 8.0